There are lots of instructions out there on how to dual-boot Windows Vista and Windows XP, but if you chose Windows Server 2008 as a OS of choice, things are a bit different. To simplify things for following installations of this kind, here are my notes.

1. Install Windows Server 2008 and leave some free space for Windows XP partition
    orĀ
    Make room for Windows XP.
  2. Install Windows XP
  3. Boot into Windows Server 2008 installation DVD
  4. Run command prompt and fix Vista's boot records
    C:
    cd \boot
    bootsect /nt60 c: /force
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

(trick: "my" copy of Windows Server 2008 64-bit doesn't have bootsect.exe and bootrec.exe in C:\boot, so I had to run above commands from boot folder on DVD!)
  5. Download EaysBCD, add Windows XP, reboot and you're good to go.

Point 4. is where Server 2008 and Vista differ. Painful, but it works.

Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:45 AM | Filed under: System |

# re: Dual booting Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP 2/6/2009 12:39 AM Eric
Hey, I'm Eric from http://www.isyougeekedup.com. Thanks for including my blog in your post; I never knew how many people I would help with that information. Seems I've saved more than one sys admin's day, lol.

# re: Dual booting Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP 3/28/2009 1:34 AM Finees
Hi, I have Windows XP Pro on my primary drive and I just installed Windows Server 2008 on my slave drive. How do I set up a dual booting for my computer. Both disks are NFTPS.
Thanks

# re: Dual booting Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP 6/10/2010 1:59 PM morteza
iran

# re: Dual booting Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP 12/1/2010 1:53 AM Tim
I want to have a dual Windows 2008 server setup - one as a legacy and day workstation with SQL 2000 and SQL 2005, the other as a 'clean' machine with just SQL 2008.

I presume the above intructions apply but I don't need to worry about step 4?

Regards

# re: Dual booting Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP 12/15/2010 8:15 PM Bernard
Why not use the Hyper-V of Windows 2008 to have a virtual machine with Windows XP available?

# re: Dual booting Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP 2/21/2012 6:16 PM David
I do not have a replacement copy of XP and I'm need to have SQL 2005 <beta> loaded for work purposes. As far as I know I need @ least sp3 loaded athough I also, if I remember right I need to have SQL loaded first. any further input would be welcome @ this point I do not plan to make my primary computer a TESTPILOT...
Thanks