This is a minor release that I made since users asked for it. Please read the note below before asking about why new cameras aren’t supported and why it doesn’t work on Windows Vista!
GetCanon! is a image downloader for Canon digital cameras. It's small, quick and simple. It can download images, rotate them automatically and delete them from camera. If you hate the "designer" interface of Canon utilities and hate Windows messing with image filenames, this is the right tool for you.
GetCanon! is freeware. It includes open-source program JpegTran from Independent JPEG Group's JPEG software.
The program has been downloaded more than 30,000 times from my own server only and is hosted on many sites around the web. This is what user of GetCanon! think about it:
- This application is exactly what I've been looking for.
- I found GetCanon! as a very useful tool for my PowerShot camera.
- Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for: something that just works! Thanks!!!
- Wow -- this is a great utility!
- I like your hassle free program a lot. It's much better than the annoying canon software included with my camera.
- Thanks very much for writing GetCanon and thanks, too, for making it freely available. I love elegant, snappy & simple programs ... just like GetCanon.
- GetCanon is the _only_ software, including Canon's CameraWindow, that is able to transfer a ~900MB AVI File from my Cam, at all. I don't know why, all the others crashed, freezed, or produced a NULL Byte file after working for ages.
Download: GetCanon! 1.7 Setup (1016 KB)
This software requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. You probably have it on your computer but if you don't you can download it free from Microsoft.
What's new since version 1.6:
- Added Czech language.
- Fixed some minor glitches in Dutch translations.
- Other minor fixes.
Big thanks to all of translators and testers. These include: Marko Juvančič, Gregor Šuster, Mojca Knaus, Roberto Boriotti, Tobias Sürig, Jac Willekens, Patrick Abi Salloum, Kasper Garns, Adam Nemeth, Marko Justinek and Steffen Klemichen, Josef Remes.
Supported cameras in version 1.7:
- PowerShot A10, PowerShot A20, PowerShot A30, PowerShot A40, PowerShot A60,
- PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A80, PowerShot A85, PowerShot A95,
- PowerShot A100, PowerShot A200, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, PowerShot A400, PowerShot A510, PowerShot A520,
- PowerShot S10, PowerShot S20, PowerShot S30, PowerShot S40, PowerShot S45, PowerShot S50, PowerShot S60, PowerShot S70,
- PowerShot S100, IXY DIGITAL, DIGITAL IXUS,
- PowerShot S110, IXY DIGITAL 200, DIGITAL IXUS v,
- PowerShot S200, IXY DIGITAL 200a, DIGITAL IXUS v2,
- PowerShot S230, IXY DIGITAL 320, DIGITAL IXUS v3,
- PowerShot S300, IXY DIGITAL 300, DIGITAL IXUS 300,
- PowerShot S330, IXY DIGITAL 300a, DIGITAL IXUS 330,
- PowerShot S400, IXY DIGITAL 400, DIGITAL IXUS 400,
- PowerShot SD100, IXY DIGITAL 30, DIGITAL IXUS II,
- PowerShot SD10, IXY DIGITAL L, DIGITAL IXUS i,
- PowerShot SD110, IXY DIGITAL 30a, DIGITAL IXUS IIs,
- PowerShot S410, IXY DIGITAL 450, DIGITAL IXUS 430,
- PowerShot S500, IXY DIGITAL 500, DIGITAL IXUS 500,
- PowerShot SD20, IXY DIGITAL L2, DIGITAL IXUS I5,
- PowerShot SD200, IXY DIGITAL 40, DIGITAL IXUS 30,
- PowerShot SD300, IXY DIGITAL 50, DIGITAL IXUS 40,
- PowerShot SD400, IXY DIGITAL 55, DIGITAL IXUS 50,
- PowerShot SD500, IXY DIGITAL 600, DIGITAL IXUS 700
- PowerShot G1, PowerShot G2, PowerShot G3, PowerShot G5, PowerShot G6,
- PowerShot Pro90 IS, PowerShot S1 IS, PowerShot S2 IS, PowerShot Pro1
Canon stopped development of their DLL library GetCanon! uses. That’s why there is no support for newer cameras Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. You might try your luck with Windows Live Photo Gallery image downloader. It’s great, way better that GetCanon! I use it all the time.
It also doesn’t work on Windows Vista for the same reason. Some users reported that turning Windows XP compatibility on .exe file works.
Note: The EOS class of digital cameras is not supported. You can use the version GetCanon 1.02 with EOS class cameras.
If you would like to get the source code for this version, you have to sign up for Canon Developer program.
Once you have got your hands on Canon SDK, contact me and I'll send you the source.
These are links where you can apply for Canon SDK, depending where you're from: