This is a minor release that I made since users asked for it. Please read the note below before asking about why new cameras aren’t supported and why it doesn’t work on Windows Vista!

GetCanon! is a image downloader for Canon digital cameras. It's small, quick and simple. It can download images, rotate them automatically and delete them from camera. If you hate the "designer" interface of Canon utilities and hate Windows messing with image filenames, this is the right tool for you.

GetCanon! is freeware. It includes open-source program JpegTran from Independent JPEG Group's JPEG software.

The program has been downloaded more than 30,000 times from my own server only and is hosted on many sites around the web. This is what user of GetCanon! think about it:

• This application is exactly what I've been looking for.
  • I found GetCanon! as a very useful tool for my PowerShot camera.
  • Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for: something that just works! Thanks!!!
  • Wow -- this is a great utility!
  • I like your hassle free program a lot. It's much better than the annoying canon software included with my camera.
  • Thanks very much for writing GetCanon and thanks, too, for making it freely available. I love elegant, snappy & simple programs ... just like GetCanon.
  • GetCanon is the _only_ software, including Canon's CameraWindow, that is able to transfer a ~900MB AVI File from my Cam, at all. I don't know why, all the others crashed, freezed, or produced a NULL Byte file after working for ages.

Download: GetCanon! 1.7 Setup (1016 KB)

This software requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. You probably have it on your computer but if you don't you can download it free from Microsoft.

What's new since version 1.6:

• Added Czech language.
  • Fixed some minor glitches in Dutch translations.
  • Other minor fixes.

Acknowledgments:

Big thanks to all of translators and testers. These include: Marko Juvančič, Gregor Šuster, Mojca Knaus, Roberto Boriotti, Tobias Sürig, Jac Willekens, Patrick Abi Salloum, Kasper Garns, Adam Nemeth, Marko Justinek and Steffen Klemichen, Josef Remes.

Supported cameras in version 1.7:

• PowerShot A10, PowerShot A20, PowerShot A30, PowerShot A40, PowerShot A60,
  • PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A80, PowerShot A85, PowerShot A95,
  • PowerShot A100, PowerShot A200, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, PowerShot A400, PowerShot A510, PowerShot A520,
  • PowerShot S10, PowerShot S20, PowerShot S30, PowerShot S40, PowerShot S45, PowerShot S50, PowerShot S60, PowerShot S70,
  • PowerShot S100, IXY DIGITAL, DIGITAL IXUS,
  • PowerShot SD300, IXY DIGITAL 50, DIGITAL IXUS 40,
  • PowerShot SD400, IXY DIGITAL 55, DIGITAL IXUS 50,
  • PowerShot SD500, IXY DIGITAL 600, DIGITAL IXUS 700
  • PowerShot G1, PowerShot G2, PowerShot G3, PowerShot G5, PowerShot G6,
  • PowerShot Pro90 IS, PowerShot S1 IS, PowerShot S2 IS, PowerShot Pro1

PLEASE NOTE:

Canon stopped development of their DLL library GetCanon! uses. That’s why there is no support for newer cameras Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. You might try your luck with Windows Live Photo Gallery image downloader. It’s great, way better that GetCanon! I use it all the time.

It also doesn’t work on Windows Vista for the same reason. Some users reported that turning Windows XP compatibility on .exe file works.

Note: The EOS class of digital cameras is not supported. You can use the version GetCanon 1.02 with EOS class cameras.

Supported languages:

• English
  • Slovenian
  • Danish
  • German
  • French
  • Hungarian
  • Italian
  • Dutch
  • Portuguese
  • Czech

Source code:

If you would like to get the source code for this version, you have to sign up for Canon Developer program.

Once you have got your hands on Canon SDK, contact me and I'll send you the source.

These are links where you can apply for Canon SDK, depending where you're from:

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:28 PM | Filed under: Photography Developement Internet |

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 7/23/2008 1:03 AM Martin B.
Hi David.

My name is Martin from Montreal (Quebec), CANADA and during last weekend, I made a test with GetCanon! 1.7. I've been surprised, this freeware has created a directory with the correct date for each photos' sequence, for me your freeware is a MUST.

A nice discovery on softpedia:

I've a Canon PowerShot A520.

Congratulations for this EXCELLENT freeware and have a good evening.

Martin
From Montreal, CANADA

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 7/25/2008 5:43 PM Christina Satt
I bought the Canon IXUS 8015/8215 n it didnt cum with the cd 2 downlaod everything onto my computer so i csn put my pictures on my pc, can u help me ?? Christina x

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 7/27/2008 2:45 PM Nick
The lazy buggers at Canon couldn't be bothered to write Vista drivers for my Powershot A40 so it looked like buying a new camera, but then I came across your program. It works great. I can now download my pictures and save some money. Thanks.
p.s. I didn't think it would work until I saw your note about Windows XP compatibility!

Cheers

Nick, England

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 7/28/2008 2:36 AM CaqKa
Hi.

i recently buy a canon ixus 80 (sd1100) and as i see its curently and will not be supported.
but as i know its meant to tranfser pictures when you connect via usb cable?

i every time put the card into the card reader.

i am searching for an app that i could configure to do the folowing..
copy the files to x:\pictures_folder\YYYY_MM_month_name_in_slovenian_language
and resize them to 3mpix, then make resized copies (640x480) and put them into the 640 folder and also back on the card.
hereby there would be archive on the disk and preview pictures on the card (i cary the cable with me to show the pictures on a TV)

right now i am doing that "per hand" with faststone image viewer/resizer.

someone knows such a tool?

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 8/3/2008 10:24 PM Tom
Why does GetCanon 1.7 can not detect Canon PowerShot SX100 IS?

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 8/4/2008 2:55 AM Simon
Similar problem here: does not detect my powershot A85 (but Vista does).

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 8/6/2008 10:35 AM Tom
Please supported Canon PowerShot SX100 IS very,very,very please.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 8/8/2008 10:20 PM Oliver
Hi,

I used GetCanon 1.5 without problems with my Canon S5, now upgrading to GetCanon 1.7 it says it can't connect to the camera.
Is this problem with Canons dll only affecting GetCanon 1.7?

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 8/8/2008 11:02 PM David
Hmmm, it should be any different with 1.7.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 8/14/2008 10:53 AM Amocob
GetCanon! 1.7 doesn't support my Canon G9! Please help me

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 9/2/2008 3:25 PM Michael
Hi,

i have a new IXUS 860IS and it seems to be not supported, ist this right? An errormessage is the only result that the software has a connection problem. Do you support this Canon?

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 9/8/2008 11:22 AM David Vidmar
G9, IXUS 860IS are not supported. Sorry. Please read the red text above.

# Support for Card Readers 9/21/2008 5:07 PM Fredrik
GetCanon! is exactly what I have been looking for, except that I use a SD card reader to download the images taken with my Canon camera. Is there any chance that you could make GetCanon to also support downloading images from a card reader?

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 9/21/2008 6:34 PM David Vidmar
You should try Windows Live Gallery, free app from Microsoft. It rocks as a downloader.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 9/23/2008 4:26 AM Roger Summy
Thank You Thank You Thank You!
With Getcannon! 1.7 (running in XP compatability mode) I can finally download photos from my S200 Elph on my Vista operating computer.....no need for new camera, which saved me some $$$$

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 10/14/2008 2:50 AM me
Should call this GetPowerShot! because it only supports PowerShots!!!!

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 10/14/2008 5:29 AM David
You got a point there!

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 11/10/2008 11:43 AM cookie
got winxpsp2 powershot a520. doesnt work.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 2/11/2009 12:41 AM Antonio Valencia
Hi,

I need to synchronize two cameras for stereoscopic pictures gathering. In order to do so I pretend to synchronize each camera’s clock to the PC’s. I did not find any code to do this; neither to access the exif information for automatic identification and renaming of the stereoscopic pairs based on the time the pictures was taken.
I am having a hard time with the canon sdk code because I am not very C++ fluent. Could you please help me by sharing your Delphi code?
Please answer directly to my email address.

Regards,

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 2/11/2009 9:22 AM David
It's not Delphi code, it's C#.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 4/11/2009 5:00 PM Paco
Even for me GetCanon! is exactly what I have been looking for, but my Canon is a PowerShot A650 IS and is not supported. Is there a way to find the missing dll library in my Canon installation cd and add it? Thank you very much!

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 4/12/2009 11:16 PM Ales Doupal
Great soft,
but i bought new camera Canon SX200 and it doesn't support it, so if possible add it
Thanks

# re: GetCanon! 1.6 8/10/2009 11:08 AM Mungo Henning
Hi,
Smashing bit of software, but one wee "feature" in version 1.6
that might make it to the "to be improved" list now suggested:

I don't delete pictures off my camera until they have been copied
to my laptop and then backed up to other hard drives. The motive
being to reduce the chances of losing precious pictures.

When the GetCanon software transfers pictures to my laptop
it creates destination folders as it should at the start of every
transfer.
What is happening is that the software is creating a subfolder and then it subsequently finds out that this subfolder is not required (all photos for that subfolder are marked as "Transferred" methinks).

This leaves me with one parental folder and several empty subfolders, and I then manually go in and delete these.

If the GetCanon software could determine whether a subfolder
is actually required before it creates it, then this would
prevent empty subfolders being created.
I'd rather have this than a system that elects to delete a
subfolder if it determines that it created it and then didn't use it.

A minor flaw in a magnificently useful application; thanks
again to the author for their generosity.

Regards

Mungo

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 - Crashed 10/5/2009 1:24 AM Dmitriy
Windows XP x64 SP2 Eng + Russian MUI ->
_____________________________________________________________
GetCanon! 1.7.3100.24559
Framework Version: 2.0.50727.1433

File list:Exception:
System.BadImageFormatException: Была сделана попытка загрузить программу, имеющую неверный формат. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

at DavidVidmar.CanonSDK.cdAPI.CDStartSDK(cdVersionInfo& pVersion, UInt32 Opt)

at DavidVidmar.GetCanon.MainForm.StartSDK()

at DavidVidmar.GetCanon.MainForm.MainForm_Activated(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnActivated(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 10/12/2009 2:07 PM David Holmes
Version 1.7 does not detect my PowerShot A20 on Vista SP1. Driver is 3.9) Camera is visible and can be successfully tested from Control Panel/Imaging Devices/properties.

Regards.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 11/3/2009 10:26 AM Todd Sauve
Thank you for this driver!

It works perfectly fine in Windows 7 Home Premium, as long as I set the shortcut icon to run the program in Windows XP mode.

So, than you ever so much ;)

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 11/8/2009 11:39 AM Mark A
Many Thanks - this software allowed me to connect my old Powershot A40 to my new vista PC (having first set the .exe compatability for Windows XP Service Pack 2). Great!

# GetCanon! and S5 IS - problem is solved! 11/15/2009 12:30 PM SoniC
Hi! Thanks for this really usefull program!
I use it from version 1.02 with my IXUS II, and all was fine!
But some months ago I bought S5 IS and GetCanon (ver. 1.5 and 1.7) couldn't connect to it. I tried many ways to solve this problem and found the best one.
I installed GetCanon 1.5 and replaced GetCanon.exe from version 1.7 (1.7.3100.24559, 208 896 byte) and it works properly!
Good luck!

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 11/23/2009 3:08 PM health
Canon powershot number one!

# Compatibility 12/12/2009 9:18 AM Dan Gilles
Compatibility mode works for the A40 on Vista! Thanks!

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 1/3/2010 5:36 AM pkrulez
excellent program... works for my powershot A40 in Windows 7... just run exe in XP compatibility mode

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 3/13/2010 4:56 AM Jeffrey Kopp
I love it.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 5/24/2010 1:43 PM elma
Compatibility mode works for the A40 on Vista! Thanks!

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 5/24/2010 1:44 PM elma
I love it soryyy

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 6/16/2010 3:03 PM Werbeagentur
Great programm especially for pictures for webdesign or printdesign.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 8/10/2010 3:25 PM Link Ekle
that was great thank you
it halps to me for Canon digital cameras

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 10/16/2010 12:40 PM Albert
Hi,

Thanks very much for this software. Wasn't able to download photos off my Powershot S2 IS even since the ZoomBrowser that came with my new Canon DLSR overwrote the previous version.

With your software, I was able to download pictures from S2 IS again. One feature suggestion, selective downloading (and deletion) of photos.

Cheers,
Albert 2010.10.16

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 3/30/2011 3:45 PM Himanshu
Hello

Does this support XP 64 bit? Because I keep getting errrors all the time. Thank you,

GetCanon! 1.7.3100.24559
Framework Version: 2.0.50727.3615

File list:Exception:
System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

at DavidVidmar.CanonSDK.cdAPI.CDStartSDK(cdVersionInfo& pVersion, UInt32 Opt)

at DavidVidmar.GetCanon.MainForm.StartSDK()

at DavidVidmar.GetCanon.MainForm.MainForm_Activated(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnActivated(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 3/30/2011 4:46 PM David
No, Windows XP x64 is not supported.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 5/25/2011 4:56 PM Kindle Blog Review
I was very surprised to find this good program for my grey canon which make simple but necessary things instead of me.

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 11/20/2011 8:55 PM anina
I love you, I love you. Could not find anything on the web to support my old trusted camera. Now I can use it again. Thanks a million

# re: GetCanon! 1.7 12/23/2011 3:03 PM Kizi