Thanks to PeterK (who's currently blog-less) I finally solved another software related mystery. Since lately my Excel has been acting strange - keyboard shortcuts were not working or were doing completely wrong things. Ctrl + C, for example was trying to add new rows etc.

I was very troubled since there is no way (or I can't find it!) to customize and see keyboard shortcuts as we are used to from older version of Office and other MS programs live Visual Studio.

Running Excel with command line parameter /S (as in "Safe Mode") solved the thing.

There is even MS knowledge base article about it Description of the Excel 2007 hotfix package: March 7, 2008, but the hot-fix is not easily downloadable.

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 8:29 AM | |

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 7/24/2008 10:58 AM Peter L
I have the same problem with CTRL+{c,v,z,F4} and probably more. Thanks for the command-line tip, it seems to fix the shortcuts.

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 8/15/2008 2:19 PM kamla dutta
i love c++

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 2/3/2009 12:59 PM Henrique
Hi people,
Try to activate the compatibility mode. Go to folder programs/office12, and right click on the excel.exe. Next, go to tab "compatibility" and active compatibility mode to windows xp (service pack 2). This solved the problem for windows vista too.

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 3/16/2009 1:03 PM sharif khan
remove the shortcuts used for macros in Personal.xls as this file gets loaded automatically

it will work

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 12/28/2009 11:52 AM simon ručigaj
Ok, imam isto težavo pri slovenski različici, Microsoft ponuja hotfix le za dansko in še eno, če se ne motim ... moram nujno /S, ali se da kje dobiti hotfix?

že vnaprej hvala za morebiten odgovor in lepe praznike želim,

S.

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 8/12/2010 11:29 PM jake
my ctrl+V works but not in combatarms anymore but other people in combatarms can is a way i can assign my Ctrl+V to a diffrent letter? please tell me

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 9/27/2010 1:16 PM Henrik Dalsager
Had the excact same problem, thank you for the command-line tip.

however, this does not permanently solve the problem for me.
regarding customizations, it is annoying that language specific shortcuts exists, and I would like to change them back into english style shortcuts, so if anyone can find the custom shortcuts anywhere let me know

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 3/9/2011 10:07 AM Jure Forstnerič
I just ran into this bizare problem at a user's computer. Windows 7 + Excel 2003 (slovenian version), no CTRL shortcuts worked (instead, they all tried to add new rows). The compatibility mode fixed this, but I'm still stumped by this weird bug.

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 7/26/2011 1:02 PM Nabobvan
Solution, that worked for me:

1) Find a file named "PERSONAL.XLSB". The place differs on various Windows systems. On Win XP it is "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLSB".

2) Remove, archive or rename this file.

# re: Fix: Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and other shortcuts not working in Excel 8/8/2011 6:36 PM zvone
Compatibility mode Windows XP Sevice Pack3 Slovenian Office