It's one thing to force a software on people, but it's even worse when that software isn't working very well.

When Apple Update offered me to install Safari, I said to myself "why not?". It's been a while since I gave Safari a spin, so it would be time to give it another shot.

At first, I was delighted. It's fast, displays fonts like newspaper. It's, different, it makes me want to buy a Mac! (I guess that was Apple's plan in the first place!)

But my fascination didn't last long. While I played with the plan that I would use Safari for my Gmail and have it open all the time, and only use Firefox for surfing, I checked RAM consumption.

Looks like Safari has a terrible memory leak. Everyone knows Firefox is a memory hog. But in just few minutes, Safari manages to occupy more memory that Firefox running not-stop for couple of day.

image

I bet some people will try to convince me, that it's all Windows/Microsoft/Bill's fault. :)

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:27 PM | Filed under: Software |

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/23/2008 3:25 AM Alberto
What's the problem? 1 GB brand Dimm is 16 Eur here...
And does not leaks memory, just use what's available.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/23/2008 5:35 AM zahadum
newest build stops the insanity -
cf: macenstein.com/default/archives/540
if this is true, then things look even more bleak for msie.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/23/2008 9:00 AM David
@Alberto: The problem is, it doesn't stop eating memory. It rises and rises... A need memory for other programs. Safari is just and utility.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/23/2008 8:21 PM Martin Pilkington
360MB in a few minutes is extremely excessive, though when you consider that Safari has huge memory leaks on OS X (I've seen it get up to 600MB of my 2GB taken by safari) I doubt it would be any better on Windows.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/23/2008 11:32 PM Brian King
Wait for Firefox 3 (or grab a beta), the memory consumption of a default install without extensions is much less.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/24/2008 12:34 AM David
@Brian: Can't wait for FF3. I hope my favorite plugins will get upgrades soon. That's the only thing that keeps me on FF2.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/24/2008 2:00 AM Eytan
Curious....
I figured I would launch the two based on your comment. Safari defaulted to the Apple start page, so I put Firefox beta 4 on the same page. Safari launched with 50 K, Firefox with 37 K. Safari started declining in memory immediately, and when minimized to the task bar, dropped to 4 k (yes, 4 k). When returned to full size it was at 18 k. back and forth to and from the task bar went 4>18>4>18 etc... Firefox relinquished exactly 0 k when being minimized to the task bar, remaining at 37 k. I really think you should reexamine your results....

You know, I would expect Safari to be a memory hog, and I took your comment at its face originally, since I truly do believe Apple is much less capable of writing Windows software then say Mozilla. But I must say - the results are not as you say.

I would suggest that in your case, and in other people's cases, you are referring to the memory leaks in the Flash Plugin - which is not used on Apple's Start page. See if you get the same results on a Flash-less page, and then we can talk about it......

And people wonder why Apple does not want Flash on the iPhone ;)

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/24/2008 11:09 AM AdamC
Eytan,

You are right, it is Flash that cause most of the problem with Safari especially when watching streaming movies encoded in Flash.

The other browser that is doing a decent job handling Flash is Camino (I know it is off topic here)

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/24/2008 11:34 AM David
@Eytan: You shouldn't judge rum consimption after opening one page. Surf for couple of hours to simulate real usage.

And I think you're missing the point. For most of the user it should batter WHAT causes the Safari to bloat meyond decend figures. The fact is that after couple of surfing it hogs pretty much all RAM and basically suffocates the machine and other running programs which is bad.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/24/2008 12:56 PM David
@Eytan: You shouldn't judge RAM consumption after opening one page. Surf for couple of hours to simulate real usage.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/24/2008 7:31 PM julien
too bad about that-- on OS X it's significantly faster and the memory demands are smaller. i'm still stuck on FF though because of the extensions, which i can't give up. :)

how do you feel about the fact that it asked you to update via iTunes? does that upset you at all?

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/24/2008 8:42 PM David
@julien: No, that doesn't bother me personally at all. But if you ask me, it's going to hit Apple it the face.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/25/2008 6:25 PM julien
@David: i think it might have already :)

# Disable plug-ins? 3/25/2008 10:47 PM Pecos Bill
So, do you see the leaks if you turn off Plug-ins (Prefs..Security)? I'm guessing not. I could see where it would grab more memory as modules (frameworks in OS X lingo) are loaded and level off at some point, but not endlessly eat RAM.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 3/26/2008 2:48 AM TOny
lol ok here is IE7 on this page
cpu
iexplore.exe Tony 00 29,248k

now here is safari on this page

Safari.exe Tony 00 25,204k

if im not mistakin looks like IE7 is memory hog to me

# enigma 4/10/2008 7:51 AM enigma
I suggest people look for enigma browser and download it from http://store.democratz.org

You can find the link just above the products and you can download it for free.

Engima runs faster than Firefox and you can easily run 32 tabs and not slow down the machine.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 4/23/2008 3:56 PM Tom
Funny, I had the exact same experience as you.

#1 Wow, pretty
#2 I want to buy a Mac
#3 I'll just leave Safari always open to read my gmail
#4 I wonder how much memory it takes
#5 120 000 Kb!
#6 Compared to Firefox's 49 000 Kb it is a ridiculous amount.
#7 And yes, I am viewing one frigging page
#8 "You can always buy more RAM" is not a counter argument to Safari is a memory hog.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 4/23/2008 4:05 PM David
@Tom: I'm pretty sure most Macs are sold just because that WOW effect. Good for Apple, bad for wallets around the world.

# re: Safari for Windows is terribly broken 7/31/2008 7:48 AM Turkey