After installing Visual Studio 2008 RTM on two different machines I got same error when trying to do ANYTHING after starting the IDE: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. I couldn't even close it down.

Little Googlin' revealed that upgrade to VisualSVN is needed. After installing 1.3.1 the problem is fixed.

Technorati tags: , ,
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 12:50 AM | Filed under: Software Developement |

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 11/27/2007 7:33 PM Balkonski
This is Microsoft's way of promoting/advertising Google: one must use Google in order to be able to use Visual Studio. I'm betting William Gates the 3rd is secretly buying Google stock now that he's slowly retiring (so he sez) from M$ presidency. No, wait! He's probably preparing a merger. He's going to be a president of Microogle! Bummer!

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 12/14/2007 8:34 PM Jay
Thanks for sharing the info! That was helpful.

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 1/1/2008 1:42 AM Joe
Thanks! found it at the top of google ;)

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 3/21/2008 2:25 PM Chris Crowther
You are a diamond, I was wondering which of my plugins was likely to be causing the error.

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 5/12/2008 4:53 PM Parikshit
Thanks a lot dude.
I spent 3 hours on this issue and kept finding wrong solutions on google till I hit on this one.

Thanks again.

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 7/4/2008 11:15 PM aakash
i have vista home premium as os. i installed microsoft visual studio 2008. the forms application works fine. but when i try asp.net web site only the default.aspx file opens. the .cs files dosent . even if i do open the .cs file the module for designing where we can drag and drop the contols like text box etc. dosent open . there is no option to switch between source and design dat comes at the bottom. if i go to view in the toolbar and click on the designer option there the followin message comes " There is no editor available for 'c:\Website1\Default.aspx' . Make sure the application for the file type(.aspx) is installed. " the same message comes if i click on the code option in view . plz help..

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 7/26/2008 12:43 PM Manek
Thanks a lot Buddy!!!! u r gr8....

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 10/14/2008 6:46 PM Micky
I do not used visualsvn, but rather tortoiseSVN. How do I fox the same issue of unexpected error.

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 12/2/2008 7:14 AM Tilek
Thank's a lot
it was greate

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 3/9/2009 12:30 PM Selim
I have some trouble installing Visual Studio 2008 on Vista Home Premium with SP1. I always get some Error plz help.

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 7/30/2009 4:26 AM cedrick
i encountered an error during debugging the program, it says there that if i upgrade an OS i need to ensure that my .net framework work correctly, but i don't know if its work. i upgraded my vista basic to vista premium. an error occurred like this "A class initialization has failed. one possible cause is a corrupted .NET framework installation. Error Id. BC32400

can anybody help me how to fix this error.. thank you...

email me at undying_emolove@yahoo.com or feedback here. tnx a lot!!!

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 8/22/2009 3:13 PM gajula mahesh kumar
The file '.BLL.csproj' needs to be checked out before it can be edited. The file was not checked out automatically because you have disabled automatic check out when files are edited in the Source Control options page.

this is error in my project how to salve this

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 7/15/2010 11:45 AM suresh
simple ..change your mother board.....

# re: Visual Studio 2008: Visual Studio has encountered an unexpected error. 9/16/2010 3:22 PM dress shirts
I could really used that for my new international project