If you own a Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS router you are probably aware that there are few alternative firmware's out there that squeeze more out of hardware that original hardware. Especially if you are doing some P2Ping, since default Linksys's settings are sub-optimal.

I have been running DD-WRT for a while know and it treated me nice. But after yesterday's IM chat with a friend I decided it's time to try something new.

Tomato is a small and simple replacement firmware by Jonathan Zarate, who has also developed another well know firmware HyperWRT +Tofu.

What is special with Tomato:

• simple, efficient and modern Ajax enabled UI
  • build in traffic monitor with really nice SVG graphs
  • excellent preset QoS that actually works and also has graphing abilities which help a lot when "debugging" QoS
  • pre-configured with high connection limits for for P2P

This alone is compelling enough and since development of DD-WRT has somehow slowed I decided to switch. So far things look very good, but I have only run Tomato for a day.

When doing a firmware upgrade, be sure to follow instructions and read read-me files.

My two hints:

• Check that you want reset your router settings after upgrade. Do this if you upgrade from DD-WRT. If you fail to, check Tomato's read-me for 3 possible solutions if you get stuck.
  • Although official site say there is little documentation, there is a nice Wikibook about Tomato firmware with tons of hints and suggestions.

Some screenshots:

[tomato] Status Device List [tomato] Bandwidth Real-Time

[tomato] QoS View Graphs [tomato] About

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:43 PM | Filed under: System Internet Gadgets |

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/26/2007 1:14 PM David
great! thank you very much.. that's just what I needed.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/26/2007 8:43 PM David
Your are very welcome. I'm glad I could help!

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/27/2007 8:42 AM CaqKa
offers no usb support...
i need to install a edonkey client and wget and supporting of a printer server.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/27/2007 8:45 AM David
Which router do you have? I don't have USB ports.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/27/2007 7:23 PM CaqKa
Asus WL500g

look here if you want to know what hardware do you miss :)
also look if you have SD card reader pins.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/27/2007 7:44 PM MAtej
I tried Tomato firmware on my linksys and it worked well for all but one and only Vista computer. I was getting LSP - Layer service provider is outdated error.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/27/2007 9:46 PM David
@CaqKa: Wow. I was not aware of that. I hope my Linksys get fried soon. :)

@MAtej: Weird. I do have a mix of computers behind Tomato (Vista, XP, Win2003) and so far all work alright. When/where did you get this error?

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 9/3/2007 10:45 PM jetusus
Just installed Tomato ver 1.07. can anyone tell me how to block or restrict urls by key words?

# Mikes Links Monday 9/10/07 9/7/2007 10:57 PM mikedopp.net
Mikes Links Monday 9/10/07

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 10/7/2007 12:14 AM Nassar Puzhakkathodi
I used DD-wrt standard and also purchased DD-wrt special for 16 Uro, but i was not satisfied
with performance of DD-wrt special.It stuck up after 12hrs running. Web interface is not accessible if there is morethan 200 connections. Some times it reverses to the orginal default setup. QoS not functioning as mentioned in DD-wrt wiki. Bandwidth alotment in DD-wrt special is just a place order, nothing works.
Then I installed tomato firmware. I was really surprised on
its performance. Its QoS in excellent and up 10 classes are there. Also QoS is best suited for those who want to control
p2p traffic by assigning priority classes.
Thanks
Nassar Puzhakkathodi

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 11/28/2007 1:17 AM hotspot
nice.. thanks.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 12/1/2007 12:00 AM najevi
Kudos for a great piece of firmware and an intuitive Web UI.
Tomato Firmware v1.11.1217

PROBLEM periodically saving rstats gzip file to CIFS1

Re: The two configuration parameters:-

Administration ; Bandwidth Monitoring: Save on Shutdown
&
Administration ; Bandwidth Monitoring: Save Frequency

Would you please confirm that enabling the Save on Shutdown feature disables the Save Frequency feature?

If this was not intended behavior then would you please assess whether this is an easy enough fix to add for a future release?

Many thanks.

For further background (if needed) refer to my post at:

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 12/1/2007 12:14 AM najevi
Kudos for a great piece of firmware and an intuitive Web UI.
Tomato Firmware v1.11.1217

PROBLEM periodically saving rstats gzip file to CIFS1

Re: The two configuration parameters:-
Administration ; Bandwidth Monitoring: Save on Shutdown
&
Administration ; Bandwidth Monitoring: Save Frequency

Many thanks.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 12/14/2007 7:42 PM denny
CaqKa, David:
i dont know much about tomato, just using it few weeks.
but, i tried ddwrt on asus wl500g. it's very slow.
coz wl500g cpu only 150mhz and ddwrt got tons of services running and make even the webgui loads much slower.
maybe tomato is lighter, but i wont try it on wl500g.

i use oleg.wl500g.info firmware on this device.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 2/19/2008 2:44 AM MikeH
Does firmware work on linksys WRT54G V5??

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 2/20/2008 11:22 PM David
According to Tomato FAQ, it doesn't.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 3/23/2008 2:55 AM GrahamT
I'd like to be able to throttle back or block internet access for a certain PC (MAC address) once a certain threshold has been reached (say 500 Mb in a day) - could Tomato do something like that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 3/23/2008 8:59 AM David
No, I don't think it can.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 3/23/2008 10:16 PM GrahamT
Thanks for the advice, I'll continue my quest. I've been using HyperWRT Thibor quite happily for over a year but may get motivated enough to give Tomato a try soon.

Regards, GT

# :GrahamT - speed restrict 3/26/2008 2:36 PM McLovin
you could use a program called 'NetLimiter 2'.
use it all the time to make sure my sister does not screw up P2P. =D

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 3/30/2008 3:56 PM msL
Does firmware work on linksys WRT54G Version 7 ???

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 3/30/2008 10:17 PM David
Are you sure it's V7?

This is a list of supported Linksys's.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 5/6/2008 10:51 AM Andrej
Question: Could I use this firmware to configure my WRT54GL as a bridge. I would like to strengthen the wireless signal and send it out as wireless again. Thx in advance.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 5/9/2008 8:25 PM David
Never done it before, but it should work, according to docs.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 9/4/2008 8:08 PM leon schuiling
well i might have a bug i wanted to change channel from the default channel 6 to 11 but then the router does not respond on saveing when a click away from the poage and have another look still channel 6 is activated in other words i cant change channel number

# Tomato install on 54GL - Problem 1/10/2009 10:29 PM Jesse Taylor
I purchased a used Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT installed, specifically to install Tomato. I followed the install file fron the Tomato 7z file. Unfortunately that file did NOT warn to run telnet to ferret out the encrypted password BEFORE installing. So of course once I installed, the userid and password does not work. How do I recover from this? I do not have the original firmware for this router. Thanks for your help.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 1/10/2009 10:39 PM David
Jesse, just do full reset of the device (hold reset button longer that 10 seconds) than use default admin password. If I remember correctly it's username: root, password admin. If that's not it, just use Google. There is more than one site dedicated to default router passwords out there.

Let me know if it works for you!

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 1/23/2009 11:45 AM Cheppie
Due to pitiful performance of DD-wrt v24 I upgraded my wrt54gs v1.1 with tomato firmware last night, but subsequently could not get through the router to my Dreytek Vigor ADSL modem. I'm sure there is something simple I've missed - any advice?

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 1/23/2009 12:02 PM David
@Cheppie: Did you do full reset of router settings? Settings are somehow compatible between different firmwares but usually the router start do behave strangle.

If I remember correctly, you should press and hold reset button on router for 10+ seconds then use default admin username/password to access it.

Hope this helps you somehow.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 2/7/2009 8:27 AM shadow
it's 30+ sec

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 3/17/2009 9:06 AM sandoz
I loved Tomato until recently. I had my line upgraded from 5MB to 15 MB and i can't get Tomato to pass the full 15 MB through the router. On all the benchmarks I run I only get 5MB. I reverted back to the official Firmware and I can benchmark 15MB again. What am I doing wrong?

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 5/5/2009 3:13 PM jose
i have the wrt54gl. where can i find step by step install instructions?

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 5/18/2009 1:10 AM Stephan
I have the WRT54G v.8 router and attempted the upgrade. After choosing the BIN file (xvworkskillerGv8-w3.bin) and clicking the Apply button I am getting the following message in IE7: The webpage is not available. The webpage at http://192.168.1.1/index.tri might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Any idea why it does this?
I have tried a different browser as well (Google Chrome) but got the same result.
Thanks in advance.

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 5/18/2009 1:27 AM Stephan
I think I have answered my own question bu checking out this url posted earlier in this thread: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#what_will_this_run_on

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 6/20/2009 6:16 AM Arro
I can't seem to find or access any tomato firmware download links/site. All I get is 403 Forbidden, which doesn't make any sense. Can someone please provide me with WRT54G_WRT54GL.bin download? Thank you!

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/1/2009 9:11 PM Raymond Shaw
Thank you for this post> I just bought a WRT54G router and am playing around with it. Nice to know there is an alternative firmware.
Great Stuff!!!!

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 1/21/2010 4:57 PM Stefan
Hi! I upgraded my Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato and the bugs that the original firmware had is fixed or non existent in Tomato. Apart from that you get access to a bunch of technical parameters that are hidden in the original firmware. Now the Linksys WRT54GL is a great working product!

# re: Tomato firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS 8/13/2011 11:04 PM billy
Hello I have a wrt54gs v7.2 linksys router and need a link for the right tomato bin file for it. please help