If you use Remote Desktop daily to connect to your Windows machines you are probably having same problems as everyone else:

• a lot of similar windows and hard time to switch to right one and
  • there is no nice way to organize your connections and typing addresses really gets on your nerves after a while.

Over the years I used/developed two different systems of solving second problem, but every time I had to access a remote machine I though to myself "there has to be better way".

Using history

It works quite ok since 6, but what happens when you connect to more computers that fit in recently used combo box?

RDP-History-list

I have a shared folder with .RDP files that I sync across computer

Superb idea in theory but in practice I just never use it. It's just not handy enough, I guess.

RDP-files-grouped

Now I found a better way - Terminals
(via K. Scott Allen's blog)

Terminals is open source, free and portable piece of software that solves both problems.

Terminals is a multi tab terminal services/remote desktop client. It uses Terminal Services ActiveX Client (mstscax.dll). The project started from the need of controlling multiple connection simultaneously.

I believe Terminals is going to do to my "RDP"-ing what Console did to my "command prompt"-ing.

Here is a screenshot of Terminals running three RDP sessions in tabs...

Terminals

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 12:30 AM | Filed under: Software |

# re: Terminals - the ultimate Remote Desktop solution? 7/20/2007 3:32 PM PeterK
I've been using the Remote Desktop Console from Windows Server 2003 Admin Pack on my Vista machine which has similar functionality but I hated the fact I couldn't sort my saved connections by name. Using Terminals now (finally) I can. Thx for the tip.

# re: Terminals - the ultimate Remote Desktop solution? 7/20/2007 4:51 PM Bojan Vrhovnik
Nice find... :) quite usefull thing....

# re: Terminals - the ultimate Remote Desktop solution? 8/1/2007 7:35 PM Slimz
I am a remote support tech for a company that services 400+ small business, and this tool is a God-send, It blows the doors off the cheesy tool provided by you know who. I would recomend this to aybody that connects to 3 or more remote desktops on a regular basis.

Thanks for the incredible tool
~Slimz

# Links of the week #7 (week 41/07) 10/14/2007 11:27 PM Bite my bytes
Links of the week #7 (week 41/07)

# Links of the week #17 (week 52/2007) 12/30/2007 11:55 PM Bite my bytes
Links of the week #17 (week 52/2007)

# re: Terminals - the ultimate Remote Desktop solution? 6/7/2009 10:44 AM Anonymous
I gave terminals more than once a shot but in the end I stayed with Royal TS which is one of the best, nicest and stable tools to connect to RDP session I've ever seen.

# re: Terminals - the ultimate Remote Desktop solution? 4/8/2011 2:41 PM bahiM