I liked the idea of fadeaway screen screensaver so much, I took my shot at it. It works exactly as Power Dimmer except two details:
- when screen saver is interupted, there is nice little fade in, the screen doesn't just reapper,
- settings are saved in personal folder, so there are no issues with Windows Vista.
I run it with these settings:
- set Windows to start screensaver after 3 minutes,
- set Windows Fader to fade your screen in 5 minutes to 90% black.
If you lock your computer with screensaver, you will probably want to extend time before Windows runs screensaver so you will not go crazy logging in.
A note: this screensaver will not save any energy. This just puts transparent black window over the screen. If you want to save energy, set up Windows to turn the screen off.
Price and licence:
- no spyware,
- licended under BSD open source licence
- Windows 2000, XP, Vista
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
- Unzip "WindowsFaderScreensaver.zip" to any folder,
- Copy "WindowsFader.scr" file to your "system32" folder (usually c:\windows\system32),
- Go to screen saver settings and choose "Windows Fader",
- [optional] Click "Configure" and customize.