I liked the idea of fadeaway screen screensaver so much, I took my shot at it. It works exactly as Power Dimmer except two details:

• when screen saver is interupted, there is nice little fade in, the screen doesn't just reapper,
  • settings are saved in personal folder, so there are no issues with Windows Vista.

I run it with these settings:

• set Windows to start screensaver after 3 minutes,
  • set Windows Fader to fade your screen in 5 minutes to 90% black.

If you lock your computer with screensaver, you will probably want to extend time before Windows runs screensaver so you will not go crazy logging in.

A note: this screensaver will not save any energy. This just puts transparent black window over the screen. If you want to save energy, set up Windows to turn the screen off.

Download:

Price and licence:

• free,
  • no spyware,
  • licended under BSD open source licence

Requirements:

• Windows 2000, XP, Vista
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

Installation:

• Unzip "WindowsFaderScreensaver.zip" to any folder,
  • Copy "WindowsFader.scr" file to your "system32" folder (usually c:\windows\system32),
  • Go to screen saver settings and choose "Windows Fader",
  • [optional] Click "Configure" and customize.
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 1:48 PM | Filed under: Software Developement Windows Fader |

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/13/2007 2:11 PM Milos
Nice, I like it :) .

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/13/2007 5:34 PM David
Hey, Milos! Glad you like it. :)

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/13/2007 11:52 PM Milos
Just noticed something... When I want to go out of the screensaver - when interrupting the screensaver, I have to move my mouse a couple of times for the screensaver to disable itself, the change is not instant. Other screensavers react to the mouse much more than this one. Interrupting with the keyboard is ok.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/14/2007 12:08 AM David
This is intentional. I don't close screensaver if you don't move for 10 pixels at least. This way the screensaver doesn't interupt when mouse move becouse table shakes or something.

Bad idea?

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/14/2007 9:42 AM Milos
Hmm... Maybe not a bad idea, I'm just not used to it. Perhaps you could make it an option under the "Configure" button?

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/15/2007 9:21 AM StefanB
how about making it dim the LCD brightness via WMI to actuallly save some power?

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/15/2007 9:45 AM David
That's not bad idea at all. I'll investgate and implement if possible. Tnx for the tip.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/17/2007 7:55 PM Milos
Yeah, now that would really be cool :)

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 8/21/2007 2:30 PM noroom
If you set it to dim the screen to 100% in under 2 minutes, there's a couple of black frames in between, which makes it look pretty ugly.

Too bad, I would've kept it otherwise.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 8/21/2007 9:34 PM David
The fading speed and smoothness is related to graphics card speed, resolution and so on.

It's not a high tech solution, just drawing of transparent grey to black panels over whole screen.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 10/16/2007 1:36 AM Johnny
I'm using 2 screens and it just dims the primary one.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 10/28/2007 9:05 PM David
That's a known feature. I'll look into fixing that. Thanks for your report.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 3/9/2008 9:35 PM Matt
It's been while since this was worked on, or a comment has been posted, but, in Vista, my mouse cursor is still shown.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 5/13/2008 9:26 PM John
Just what I was looking for but does not work on second monitor. :(

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 7/5/2008 6:33 AM Shawn
i have seen some fader screensavers that complete the fading operation, then runs a script to run a different screensaver after the operation is complete. For example, it dims the screen to 0 transparency, then runs a script to start the beizers screensaver.

# re: Windows Fader Screensaver v1.0 7/29/2008 8:44 AM Robin