Filehippo (a shareware/freeware site that I don't use but I'll be keeping my eye on) release it's own version of update checker. It does everything that Secunia Software Updater and so far I think it does it (even) better.

It's 100kB download, no installation, just .NET 2.0 installed. It dynamically updates it's file list and by default searches default program locations, but other can be easily added. The results are displayed in browser window and new version download just literally one click away. I think I'll keep this baby handy.

Comment of the results from screenshot:

• Judging by the screenshot I'm pretty much up to date.
  • I'll update FileZilla in a second, but I don't do that often since too many version come out, but nothing really new happens.
  • Foxit Reader really need Auto Update feature.
  • Java has auto update, but it didn't detect this. too.
  • And Skype too. It's not bug in updater, Skype download page actually lists new build.
  • I update ProcessExplorer using my own GetSysinternals but filehippo found a second copy. I cleaned it up.

Oh, and one more thing! I wonder if the program checks for newer version of itself!?

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 8:17 PM | Filed under: Software |

# re: filehippo Update Checker 4/8/2007 9:05 PM CypherBit
Excellent! I wish .NET wouldn't be a requirement so I could include this among my portable USB apps, but .NET is pretty much standard on any up-to-date machine so this is less of a problem each passing day.

# re: filehippo Update Checker 4/8/2007 9:10 PM David
I have it in my portable folder and it's going to work since I have .NET on all machines.

And I agree... .NET2 is on most machines nowadays. If you find a machine that lacks that, you should just install it from USB. It's going to come handy again, I bet.

# re: filehippo Update Checker 7/30/2007 7:20 PM colette shepherd
i need sound card driver

# re: filehippo Update Checker 5/24/2008 6:19 PM susan
Try Radarsync instead. It does what filehippo does, but it also checks for device driver updates. And yes, this one updates itself too.... www.radarsync.com

# re: filehippo Update Checker 6/14/2008 11:24 AM itman
you should try Update Notifier from cleansofts.org
does the same thing and also has a watchlist and scheduling for checking updates. i know it doesn't require .net to run, and it doesn't need to be installed either. just the standalone updatenotifier.exe file.

# re: filehippo Update Checker 11/8/2008 7:48 PM brian
cant get update checker 2 work help

# re: filehippo Update Checker 1/31/2010 11:24 PM bandar
776

# re: filehippo Update Checker 8/2/2010 5:29 PM dennis kow
pls do update for comming new software.

# re: filehippo Update Checker 8/23/2010 9:27 AM Perse Adrian