Whoa, this came by surprise! While almost whole of the Internet takes a deep breath and calms down for the biggest catholic holiday, one of my all-time favorite programs get updated after almost three years.

Notepad2 is a major update and here are most important updates:

• file change notification (BTW, did you know you can revert/reload/refresh a file with F5? That feature rocks!)
  • find and replace dialogs are now modeless (I used to fire up Notepad++ just for this to work!)
  • multi-line find and replace support (check the screenshot below and FAQ to learn!)
  • settings are/can be stored in .ini file which makes your settings totally portable
  • and much more...

Of course, it's still tiny (500 kB), portable and wicked fast!

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:20 PM | Filed under: Software Developement |

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/8/2007 8:09 PM Miha Markic
While I like Notepad2 very much, I can't understand how can it:
a) use ini file instead of XML (not that important)
b) write ini file to program files folder

The later is a very very bad habit. One should never ever write to program files folder. Furthermore you'll probably get an error when you are running from non-admin account. Needless to say there are better places to write dynamic and user-related settings.

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/8/2007 8:47 PM David
Miha, I dont' have Notepad2 in programs folder (It's it "Tools" folder that is snyched across all of my machines), so it doesn't bother me, but you certainly have a point.

If I'm not mistaken, you can set the .ini file location in .ini it's self. Check the FAQ if you care...

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/8/2007 9:02 PM CypherBit
I've never used Notepad2, but have been using Notepad++. Have you ever tried it and if so, how do the two compare?

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/8/2007 9:08 PM David
CypherBit:
I use both, but mostly N2. It's super fast, simple and it works great out of the box. I have it at Win+N and it stars imediately which is a big plus.

N++ is bigger and slower to start. But it has more features. I use N++ when I need something fancy that is covered with extensions.

# Re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/9/2007 11:18 AM Andrej Tozon
I too thought this project was dead; glad to see it coming back... Anyway, although the app was supposed to be running without any installation, I found that one file needs to be manually added to the app's (or system) folder, namely msvcr70.dll. It looks like it wasn't deployed by default with my Vista installation - if you need it, there are plenty of download sites, just google it...

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/9/2007 1:17 PM CypherBit
Thanks David, I might as well give it a try.

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/9/2007 1:25 PM Zen
Hmm... I just took a look on it, not much evolution from previous version...
I stick with Notepad++.

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 4/9/2007 8:16 PM David
@Andrej: I run it on Vista, but I didn't need msvcr70.dll. Probably some other app installed it.

@Zen: N2 is different kind of beast than N++. I like and use both. I just pick better tool for a problem.

# Notepad2 and how to make it work in Vista 4/10/2007 6:01 PM bojanv
Few Months ago, David had a presentation about subversion. All text, he show, he used a notepad2 . After

# re: Notepad2 version 2.0.15 5/4/2007 3:07 AM Bertrand