You know I strongly believe in having a personal e-mail address for personal purposes (and business one for that other less important stuff).
Well, it’s never been a better time to make that happen than now. What do you get if you combine super personal e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) with best email server out there – e-mail nirvana! In some cultures you spell that as Google Apps for your Domain.
How to go about that?
- Purchase your own domain (10$ with Google, 9$ or less on GoDaddy, be sure to pick up 10% discount with coupon from bLaugh)
- Setup DNS entries (at your registrar for couple of $ a year or friends server)
- Create up to 25 e-mail accounts, unlimited aliases and start enjoying Gmail.
Questions you might have:
- you can use POP3 to collect your mail from google (leave it on server, delete it from server, your choice)
- spam filter works great
- you get all Gmail goodness
- they’ll throw in your own Google Calendar
I do have my own server (two actually at the moment) living in a state of the art server room. But I switched. It’s just so convenient using Gmail and not have to worry about e-mail server crashing, web mail software getting slow, unstoppable spam and so on.
Update: If you use Firefox and would like to use multiple Gmail accounts (I use one general, one personal,separate for mailing lists and one more for things in category “other”) I recommend you try of Gmail manager. Haven’t seen anything this cool outside Firefox. Have you?
A bonus piece of information if you made it this far: In Google Calendar supports alerts through SMS. It works for Slovenian GSM providers too! And it seems to be free. Sweet!