Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Flash player is one of those applications that are on every machine but you rarely see them as separate applications. Since they deal with data over the Internet Flash is also a great security risk. So it’s quite important to keep it updated.

But Flash itself will not make this task easy for you. Although it does update itself it also leaves old versions laying around on your machine. It wise to get rid of them.

Here are some hints how to accomplish that:

• Check “Add Remove Programs” and uninstall everything that smells of Flash (not flesh!)
  • Goto Adobe and grab Flash Uninstaller, close all open applications including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, MSN Messenger and run it
  • Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromedia\Flash\ (or equivalent path for your Windows installation) and delete all .ocx files
  • Check if player is not included with other software titles. (one of those can be Adobe Bridge) Try to upgrade those applications first and hope for the best.

Now you are ready for a clean install of the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 1:56 AM | Filed under: Software |

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 1/26/2007 12:39 AM treego
Thank you for the helpful hints here. :)

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 11/4/2007 5:20 AM tsudohnimh
Thanks for the tip about deleting .ocx files. I can't believe that Adobe doesn't change this flaw of not uninstalling the old version prior to applying the latest package. Of course I wish Sun Micro would fix the same problem with Java.

tsudohnimh
KnowtheNetwork.com

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 11/13/2007 6:19 AM jrhipp
thanks alot--this really helped--it's people like you that make things better and easier for people like me--thanks again!

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 11/30/2007 8:18 AM jason Ang
Thank, for your great tip.

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 12/30/2007 12:34 PM steve e107
yeah sun java doesn't remove old versions either however this is a much easier fix as the old versions of java DO show up in add/remove programs and this is the main pron\blem with Flash that not all versions are listed in add/remove programs

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 2/6/2008 2:12 PM cylon64
Secunia PSI has found 10 instances of Flash and Sun Java on my m/c that are insecure(older versions), and I just cant get rid of them! They seem to all be related to different apps of my Adobe CS3 Suite. I've tried updating this but nothings worked.

Any idea's

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 9/30/2008 4:28 AM lil moma
how do u remove flash player

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 11/15/2008 2:12 AM Ken
Cylon64
I am aware of the problem because I also run Secunia.
In my case it was php out of life or critical issue.
In case of Flash player I think I'd try this scenario:Find out the flash installation folder,probably it is in your docs and application data
Replace all the old flash files with the new ones.(Back up them somewhere)
Afterall,flash files are doesn't comes in zillions and I think learning and figuring out curve is around 20 minutes.

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 12/16/2008 6:15 PM Paul Walker
Cannot hand-delete flash9f.ocx. Ran uninstaller, all it deleted was version 10!

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 5/28/2009 12:42 AM troy glenn
remove adobe playlists

# Complete removal/uninstallation of previous version of Flash Player 7/26/2010 12:31 PM Bob Rosen
This tip did the trick for me:

"Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromedia\Flash\ (or equivalent path for your Windows installation) and delete all .ocx files".

I deleted the entire Macromed folder, and stopped getting two versions of Flash Player in Firefox.

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 8/18/2010 12:18 PM replayZ
How can i delete my flash coz im playing old habbo retro k. tell me when you coment :)

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 3/21/2011 4:05 AM g wells
hw do i find "Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromedia\Flash\ lik where do i go 2 go to that

# i can watch movie trought internet 6/2/2011 4:31 PM jhun
please help me i can't watch movie's !!! it say's there that plug in cleck for info ``

# re: How to remove old versions of Flash player 11/15/2011 3:52 PM Toots
that really helped! i just wanted to know cuz ma printer wasnt working and i have HP