If you run a DD-WRT powered router (Linksys WRTG/GL/GS probably) and doing your P2P thing with µTorrent your may get strange behavior from your router.

I had low download (but not upload!) speeds, poor Wi-Fi connectivity and inability to connect to routers web admin page. Sometimes it helped if I turned off the other P2P app, sometimes not. Sometimes it happened twice per evening and sometimes once per week. All in all a annoying bugger to find. Tried to upgrade to v23 sp2, but no luck.

Luckily you don’t have to look further than their FAQ:
Special note for users with Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS routers, there are severe problems with them when running any P2P app (read for fix)

There is lots of crap written – like use Thibor not DD-WRT and that latest versions of DD-WRT are cool. Just forget what it says and put mentioned script in your routers startup. Works like a charm!

Few notes:

• if you changed your admin username you still have to use “root” when logging through telnet
  • drop to your command line and use command “telnet” or use PuTTY if you want to look cool in front of your girl/friend/mom
  • don’t bother typing, just copy & paste this:

nvram set rc_startup="
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
echo '600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts
"
nvram commit
reboot

• check after reboot with: (It should return “1”)

more /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses

YMMV, yada, yada. Just come back and tell others if it worked 4 U 2.

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:50 AM | Filed under: System Gadgets |

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 10/10/2006 4:38 AM Dave Schroeter
Worked beautifully, after some head scratching; line 1 should read "nvram" not "vram." Thanks!

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 4/17/2007 9:56 PM Vayid Moussa
thanks for that. my router is having no more connection problems anymore.

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 4/17/2007 10:06 PM David
Great! Mine works as a charm ever since, too.

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 8/23/2007 8:10 PM Felix
Yes! totally seems to help. ultimate weird!

the first comment about the first line needing to be "nvram" is correct.

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 8/23/2007 8:53 PM David
I fixed the first line.
You should really take a look at Tomato firmware. I switched.

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 11/25/2007 8:39 PM Froos
didn't work for me, soz.. I run DD-WRT v23 SP2. When I start utorrent, no client in the network can access internet any more until I close utorrent again. Utorrent downloads normally though, no extreme rates, just average BT. I previously used bitlord and I never had issues like this before.

Any suggestions?

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 3/5/2008 12:48 PM Chama
Hi: I have a linksys router WRT54G and a cable internet connection, but not know how put this code in my router.
My Operative System is Windows 2000 professional.
Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

Chama

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 4/5/2008 1:32 AM george curious
@chama:

I will give you step by step, hopefully it helps you out.

first, download putty. it will make this easier to do. putty is a app that makes ssh/telnet and other types of console connections.

once downloaded you will have a file putty.exe. double click.

for the server connection, enter in the ip of the dd-wrt router that you have setup. for example 192.168.1.1. also, click on "telnet" default is SSH. but click telnet for my example.

then click the "open" button at the bottom of the screen.

what you should see now is a black window that has opened up asking you for username.

type in "root" password is the password you setup for the dd-wrt router. if you did not change it after flash, type in "admin" when prompted for password.

next, go to the first post and highlight all 7 lines of the information you are told to enter into the router. right click the highlighted text and click copy.

now, go back to your putty terminal window that is open and at the prompt where the cursor is, just right click with your mouse. putty will fill in the information that you had clicked previously for copy.

what you will see is the info fill in for you, and "reboot" is listed at the cursor. give it just about 10 seconds, and then hit enter.

what will happen is the information will be saved, and the router will reboot.

done.

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 4/7/2008 9:35 AM mrtnclzd
man that really helped me out!

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 7/20/2008 6:50 PM Per
Yeah! This seem to work for me aswell. Thanks alot!

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 9/9/2008 5:57 PM vac
Worked initially for me (got even "1" as a return). Then let utorrent working over night. The following morning, could not even ping my router. Did a reboot over telnet. Everthing get to work again. Just for how long...

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 4/14/2009 9:31 PM kevin
it works with wonders untill they bruteforce you. utorrent has too many threats

# re: uTorrent tryed to kill my Linksys 12/20/2009 9:08 AM Hondablaster
I think the info listed in here is expired they have newer firmware and I cannot get the router to reboot. I have followed this guide as far as it can go.

it also says "more" is not a valid command I am unable to validate that the fix will show a value of "1"