I just finished installing Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600 in virtual machine on my laptop. First impressions are great and I can hardly wait for RTM to upgrade my main installation.
I already tried Beta 1 so this isn't really a first impression, but I gave up on early beta rather quickly. I'm noticing that with age I have heighten the level of "buginess" of software I'm willing to tolerate. So I wasn't really interested in Vista until I saw others reporting how stable it became.
Here are some hints if you're going to try it yourself:
- Download is free and fast.
- You don't actually need a licence key, you can continue installation without it and use it for 14 days before activation. If you just want to test it out, it should be good enough.
- Get latest VMWare version or try the trick Joel recommends. I followed his instructions and it worked.
- You might want to take a look at 10 essential tips for Windows Vista.
- You will need a fine machine. I'm running of Intel Duo and having two cores helps. Also, having the luxury of assigning 1GB of RAM to virtual machine is a nice thing.
I still don't have Aero in VM, though. Looks like there is no way... I'll just have to wait a bit more to put my fingers on it. But Vista is really pretty anyway.
If everything goes as planned, I'll have OS X running in other virtual machine. That should be fun also!