I really like finding utilities that help me be more productive. I almost exclusively look for free ones. Just for the sake of it.

But sometimes free is just not good enough. Lately I have registered three pieces of software that are worth their money and I just could live with the free alternatives.

• BlogJet – $39.95 – Small and efficient weblog manager for Windows. I love the image uploading feature and spell checker. Readers know that I need it badly.
  • FeedDemon – $29.95 – My first feed aggregators was SharpReader. Then I switched to online tool since I didn’t have one computer that I used for reading blogs and BlogLines was a nice solution. When I got my current laptop I switched back to desktop aggregators, it’s just faster and more convenient. FeedDemon is the best one out there in my opinion and with syncing with Web based NewsGator Online I have the best of both world. In the meantime SharpReader development seemed to have stalled. Too bad.
  • PowerArchiver – $19.95 I used PA back in the days when it was free. Then I tried to live with IzArc and ZipGenius but both are slow and just don’t play nice with the rest of the system. PA is fast, knows all the archives I need and it has a steady flow of updates.

Two pieces of shareware that I registered before but stopped using:

• Anapod Explorer – iPod manager. I those day I tried to sync my iPod content but it never worked as I wanted it to work. Then I started using Smart Playlists and Anapod broke them every time. I just use iTunes and drag&drop nowadays.
  • Some kind of puzzle software that let you created really nice puzzle from your pictures. Forgot the name so I can’t even search my old mail for registration key. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

What about you? Which developers did you bless with your $?

Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 10:30 PM | Filed under: Software |

# re: Shopping Spree 6/12/2006 10:05 PM CypherBit
The last purchase I made was for UltraISO. There are many similar (even free) solutions available, but IMO nothing beats UltraISO.
After noticing it only needs one executable (the help,... can be deleted) I contacted the developers and recommended that they provide a portable, USB version. Which they did...a couple hours later. Been using it on my flash drive and it makes my job a lot easier.

Similar to yourself I usually only buy software that doesn't have a free alternative, or the alternative is lacking. My other conditions for buying a piece of software is an acceptable price and if at all possible lifetime upgrades.

BTW how come you don't like 7-Zip and just had to buy PowerArchiver. I tried both at one stage or another and really don't see where PowerArchiver is that much better compared to 7-Zip. Is it feature wise,...?

PS: I'm proud to say I'm a Windows user and all my software is either bought for or is F/OSS.

# re: Shopping Spree 6/13/2006 7:26 PM Brian King
7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) is an excellent free archiving program.

# re: Shopping Spree 6/19/2006 12:38 AM David
I am aware of 7zip and I use it occasionally.

# re: Shopping Spree 6/20/2006 12:42 PM GregS
...is the name of the puzzle software that you bought a few years ago (http://www.tibosoftware.com/jigsawpuzzle.htm) Now you could find registration code again. :-)

# Jigs@w Puzzle... 6/20/2006 12:47 PM GregS
Hm, I forgot to change the title of the upper comment. The title should be "Jigs@w Puzzle...". It makes some sense now. ;-)

# re: Shopping Spree 6/20/2006 9:45 PM David
Excellent, G! You are right. :)
How did you remember that?

# The competent Windows Live Writer review 8/17/2006 10:18 PM Bite my bytes