Since the development news is little slow lately it’s time to blog another DIY, this time Peter style.
It all started with “it cannot be done”. I had the situation where a fridge would block a valve for a water pipe. Since the water pipe is outside the apartment it would list only until first winter if I could close it. Not opening it before installing fridge was also not an option, I had paid extra money so I got the pipe installed. Moving the fridge at least twice a years was also not an option.
I needed a solution and I needed it fast. It was 00:00 hrs before the day the fridge is going to be installed.
I had an idea, Miha had lots of spare part from his (former) sailboat and he is always in when something crazy has to be build.
I needed some way of opening that valve from beneath the fridge. I was thinking levers… or ropes. First, we drilled a hole in the handle.
We attached a rope via shackle trough that hole, drilled a hole in the upper left corner and installed another shackle there and run rope through it.
Half way there.
We were half way there. A valve could be opened but we needed a way to close it. But that was the easy part. Since the rope would be pulled down we didn’t need any redirections so we just attached other end of the rope.
A rope was “infinite”, of course, as are most ropes on a sailing boat. It’s really good idea to mark starboard/right and port/left side of the rope with green/red markers.
Since I could easily confuse the ropes through the years it seemed sensible to apply this centuries old and proven in technique this situation also.
The end result
This is the final result. It works, tested and proven. Water is running, I watered the grass yesterday evening. It’s going to rain tomorrow, so I can skip watering and post this.