I'm constantly on a hunt for a desktop aggregator that would be able to sync itself between several instances. I want to read blogs on different computers and not have to worry about missing posts or reading something twice.

There are couple of aggregators that claim that do that but none of them worked for me.

RSS Bandit, for example, has it's own database of read posts but you have to upload manually. It just will not work for me. I would probably forget to sync database very other time which would be bad. Very bad.

This week I tried new tool called GreatNews. It is in beta but it looks quite stable. What motived me to give it a spin is the feature that lets you synchronised blog subscriptions and read posts with Bloglines. Since Bloglines is my favourite aggregator at the moment that sounded really good. But it proved to be too good to be true. Synchronisation failed big time as it marked all posts read in Bloglines as read before I even touched them in GreatNews reader.

So, the hunt is still on. In the last couple of months I tried Omea Reader, RSS Bandit, Feed Lounge, Awasu, News Gator Online and probably some more. Any more ideas?

How do you read your feeds?

Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 9:48 PM | Filed under: Software |

# re: GreatNews is not so great 12/27/2005 3:27 PM Jernej
SharpReader

Have the same problem as you though. I'm split 50:50 between Ljubljana and Maribor. A few days here, a few days there. Usually the first thing I do when I get to the other computer is mark all feeds read.
Presumably I don't miss too many important things in those couple of hours since I've last checked.

Not terribly elegant but I don't see a better solution at the moment. Bloglines, Google reader etc. just don't work as I want them to.

# re: GreatNews is not so great 12/28/2005 9:49 AM valem
Sage for Firefox... Same problems.

# re: GreatNews is not so great 12/28/2005 9:15 PM David
Same problems but solutions. Yet! ;)

# re: GreatNews is not so great 12/28/2005 10:07 PM Sting
NewzCrawler 1.8 can synchronize its database using file on flash drive, ftp upload or http upload. You can even place your entire database on flash drive (NewzCrawler will allow you to setup the location) and roam with it.
NewzCrawler has many more advanced features try it for free.

# re: GreatNews is not so great 1/2/2006 11:46 PM David
Tnx, Sting. I think I'm gonna have a look.