I uploaded couple of optimizations to si.blogs in order to enhance the performance of the site. Some changes are visbile and there were some behind the scenes tweaks:
- By default only fresh (posted in last week) sites are listed. (I hope users can get used to it. I smacked a warning on top of the page. I'll remove that after a week or two.)
Other blogs can be seen via the Show / All. Don't worry, you can still save your preferences on the right side and get the full front page if you want. I had to do this because the front page HTML was very large at ~150 kB. It's now down to ~90kB. Since the content is compressed (if your browser can handle it) the size is actually down to ~25 kB, but it's still a lot. This is of course only temporary solution since the number of fresh blogs will probably rise. If you have any suggestions, shoot!
- The Atom engine is little more forgiving so you should see slightly less error icons.
I managed to strip out those damned <o:p> tags that Microsoft Word puts in posts if you copy/paste the text from it. There are still some errors among the feeds. If you are blogger, please check if your site is ok. If you know a blogger with an error, annoy him/her until he/she fixed the error. I'll help, of course, just let me know. I sent some e-mails to bloggers with errors in hope we can clean it out.
A piece of advice: Validate your feeds from time to time!
- Pages are cached now.
This shouldn't affect users in anyway. I enabled ASP.NET output caching so changes to the database are visible after 60 seconds in worse case. And the user won't even know. This should speed things quite a bit since the database behind si.blogs is big and slow and soft. If you catch my drift. And don't get me started on that, it's a whole new story.