The magical recovery of iPod's battery didn't go too well. It worked for two days then it went back to the sorry state it was before. Fortunatelly the new battery arrived by mail and it was time to install it. This are the photos of the two day event that happend right there at work.

The start: iPod, new bettery, tools and a mini manual

Taking the iPod appart is a snap. Pull of the white plastic on the top, unscrew two mini philips-head screws and gently pull it appart.

Some glue and a steady hand (thanks, Dane!) with a precise soldering iron and in no time the contact was back where it should be.
It was tense and we had some luck, so don't get yourself that far. Open the bottom, please.

Here it is. Playing again...

So far, the story has a happy end. For some 20€ I have a new battery that after couple of days last longer than the original did when it was new.

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 12:04 AM | Filed under: Gadgets |

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 8/26/2005 10:43 AM peter
Nice DIY post!

Looks like the fancy apparatus wasn't exacty designed for easy battery changing.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 8/26/2005 11:01 PM David
Tnx. No, iPod wasn't made for tearing appart. Definitely not.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 9/9/2005 3:45 PM Mike
Cool! It'd be nice to know what kind of battery it is, and where you ordered it from, so I could give it a shot on my own. If I try it, I'll send you pictures of my install. Excellent job, by the way.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 9/10/2005 3:58 PM sujay
"If you don't open the bottom (you should pull off the white plastic and use sharp object to remove the metalic cover. Then gently unplug the wheels contact. Or else... you have a problem we had. The contact didn't detach itself but the connector did. Not good!"

can u please explain to me what u mean by the contact didnt detach but the connector did?
also, where is the wheel contact?

thanks

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 9/11/2005 11:37 PM David
The stays firmly in the metalic housing even when you dismantle the iPod.

It's connected with the "main board" with a problematic beige connector on a "tape". You should detach that before pulling the main board out of the box.

You can see on the pictures above that the connector broke from the "tape". We had to re-solder it back on.

I hope I made it clearer.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 9/11/2005 11:42 PM David
Mike: I bought a battery on eBay. When I chose it I didn't know anything except it's an iPod mini 500 mAh battery. Later I saw it was made in China.

You can see the battery up close here.

If you wan't, I can provide a eBay sellers name.

# re: First iPod trouble 9/26/2005 8:33 AM Bite my bytes

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 10/4/2005 7:25 PM Joe
How many hours are you getting on a full charge ?
Thinking about replacing my battery

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 10/5/2005 1:17 PM David
I'm getting some 5-6 hours.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/18/2005 5:51 PM Stuart
Can you scan in the instructions that came with your new batter for dismantling the iPod mini? The part you don't describe is how to pop off those end pieces. I'm afraid to use a screwdriver because it seems like it would tear up the plastic. Did you use a plastic tool of some sort?

Thanks!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/20/2005 3:33 PM Omri
I have a problem as well - The touch wheel is giving me so trouble: When I enter a new menu, it seems to get stuck. If I go back to the previous menus, it occassionally resumes working, but what always solves the problem is pressing the hold button in and out, which is especially annoying when using my ITrip (which sits comfortalby on top of the hold button). Have already tried reformating and reseting several times.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/21/2005 8:11 PM David
Stuart: Sorry, I don't have inctrustions anymore. Removing the white endings is relly simple. Just use a small screwdriver to "peel" them off. they are very flexible and they will not brake or tear. When you're done, just smack them back up and you are done!

Omri: Sorry, I never had problems like that.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/22/2005 1:27 AM SaRaH
I have the 20gb Ipod and it was working well, then one day the screen just went blank and would not turn on whatsoever. I tried restarting it pushing the Menu & Play/Pause buttons and what not but nothing worked. However! I found that it only works when I have it hooked up to the wall charger (not to the computer, haven't tried that yet) but yes, as soon as I disconnect it from the wall charger it won't work. Anyone know what's going on? Is the battery dead or what, do I need to change it? I've only had my Ipod for a few months. Someone reply, thanks.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 12/19/2005 5:39 PM Tommy
My wheel doesn't work like before after I install the mini ipod battery.. why... no volume or menu control.. if anyone can please do. thank you

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 12/19/2005 10:51 PM David
SaRaH, tack it back to whoever sold it too youl. Your warranty should cover it.

Tommy, I had the same problem. You probably tear off the connector. Take your iPod to a HW shop where they will fix it for you.

Good luck to both!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 1/22/2006 6:57 PM mandy
Im having trouble removing the screws from the top of the ipod. Can anyone help?

# ipod battery 5/18/2006 2:41 AM blake
we offer full range of iPod batteries at competititve price

iPod 1G&2G(UP325385A4H)
iPod 3G(616-0159)
iPod 4G(616-0183)
iPod Photo(616-0206)
iPod Mini(EC003)
iPod Shuffle(616-0212)
iPod Nano(616-0223)
iPod Video(616-0229,616-0230)

website:www.alelectronics.com
contact email:sales@sunpowtech.com

# DIY: A water valve that can be opened when blocked by solid objects 5/28/2006 10:41 PM Bite my bytes

# changed my harddrive clickwheel not working 10/10/2006 7:11 PM gerard
any ideas? help.. please..

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/5/2006 9:08 PM Nigel
Hi David, I had the same problem you encountered (not removing the bottom before removing the inside, therefore f****** up the connector thingy) Erm I have two ipod mini's and on one the plastic connector thingy has broken off the motherboard. On the other one the connector tape is just a little loose. Although on BOTH the buttons don't work. you said you soldered it back on....is there any way I could send my ipod to you for you to fix this as I havent got access to soldering iron...and I would probably f*** it up even worse!

ps: Thank you f****** Apple for your "user friendly" mini!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/5/2006 10:05 PM David
Sorry, Nifel, I don't think that would work.

First, I'm from Europe and I suspect you're from USA. Sending it here and back would cost some serious money. If you're willing to cover that...

Second, I didn't solder it myself, I took it to a shop. We'll, this actually wouldn't be a problem. I could take yours too.

Let me know...

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/16/2006 5:19 AM Malcolm
Hi. I am an experienced soldering person and would be happy fixing it for you. If your interested, hit me up.

mstandlee@gmail.com

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/16/2006 11:16 PM Nigel
hahaha I aint from USA, i live in the UK! Why on Earth would you think I live ther? lol

Feel free to email me at manutd619@hotmail.com as opposed to here if you want.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/16/2006 11:19 PM Nigel
Oh and btw David, what shop did you go to? (Just in case there is one down my street! lol) Thanks mate.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 11/16/2006 11:25 PM David
It's a local Slovenian shop... But i guess any electronics shop can do it!

# Ipod repair, maintenance 11/17/2006 5:55 PM Open Resource Centre
If you have a dead ipod, has the battery gone flat or some other problem, you may be able to resolve...

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 1/6/2007 2:58 AM Tim
I was wondering about when the connector was soldered back on. I made the same mistake - started to take it apart before reading all the way through. Is there anyway you could post pictures of the soldered connector, or maybe just describe for me what it looks like now... was the entire connector soldered back on in one piece? Or was each one of the prongs soldered serperately and kept from touching. Is there on piece of solder over each side? I have some soldering experience, but I'm not sure exactly what to do.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 1/7/2007 10:48 PM David
Hi, Tim.

I don't have any pictures of the soldered connector and I never saw it. I really don't want to take ipod apart to take them. I think you understand.

But as I understand from the report the man who soldered it's in one piece and soldered as it would be done in factory.

I tried to soldered it myself but I don't think it is possible to do it by hand. You need "industrial chip solderer" machine... I'm not sure how they call it really, but I think you understand.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 3/10/2007 1:41 AM sal
i changed my ipod mini battery
it turns on and everything works but i cant hear no sound
what could be the problem?
can someone help me?

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 3/22/2007 1:34 PM Charles
I saw this thread and did a search and found www.ipodjuice.com and got a kit from them for my ipod mini. The tools were awesome and they warned my about everything you mentioned PLUS a whole bunch more stuff. I'd highly recommend them if you have an ipod mini that needs a brand new battery. I got a 750 mah battery and that's way better than a 500 - like five hours more of juice. They also do other ipods besides the mini so when my daughters' fourth generation ipod (?) goes out i know where to shop again.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 3/27/2007 10:29 PM David
Thanx for the report Charles!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 4/30/2007 4:13 PM Neal
Fantastic! Thanks to your photos and tips it took me about 5 mins to change my battery. The original instructions that came with the replacement battery were useless

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 5/1/2007 12:51 PM David
Glad I could help.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 6/4/2007 11:32 AM abdul
i need to know how to unscrew the ipod shuffle 512mb player
bcoz my players off\on switch is broken.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 6/4/2007 6:02 PM Matty (AUS)
hey david thanks so much for the photos!
the instructions came with the battery from china, so it was completely illegible and the pictures were photocopied so darkly you couldnt see what was being done.

ive just plugged it into the charger and everything seems ok. ill wait till tomorrow to check if everything works.

but hey again thanks for this without the photos it would have sucked big time and i would have not undone the bottom connector beforehand

cheers!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 6/17/2007 9:00 PM Krista
Hey I had the some connector problem as a lot of these other people. so where would you suggest i bring it to be fixed? and when i bring it how would i explain the problem? i definitley want to fix it but i don't understand what needs to be done!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 7/11/2007 7:56 PM O'Shea
Ive taken my ipod apart..Fitted the battery..But now i cant get it back into the case..It appears to be stuck!
I dont have a clue what to do..
Can anyone help?

Thanks.

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 7/12/2007 2:16 PM Alan
Good instructions, i took my iPod apart fitted a new battery and reassembled it in under ten minutes....rockin' again!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 7/23/2007 8:58 PM Rae
Thanks - I did it!! The bottome part is the most tricky - DON'T RUSH!!

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 8/6/2007 4:41 PM adam
well i was changing the battery and the connecter thing broke. ur solution is to get it soldered, can anybody recomend somewhere in cheltenham to have that done? i don't really know what kind of shop would do it.

Thanks

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 1/25/2008 1:49 AM Andy
Hey David.. got everything out with out ripping the bottom connector.. But how do i get the connector to attch back on while just sliding everything back in??

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 1/25/2008 2:24 AM Andy
OH never mind David.. but thank you for the good instructions and pictures.. Definitely helped!! But for everyone else that wants to know where to get an IPod Mini battery as well as tools and instructions to install it go to this site

I landed on this page somehow and all i can say is WOW such a great deal!! $6.10!! NO LIE!! How can you ever beat that kind of a deal?? WooOoOooohOoOoooo :]

# re: How we changed iPod mini's battery 3/6/2008 4:15 PM claire
Thanks so much for the tips, I've just changed my battery (which was lasting less than an hour, i'd say...) and it seems to be charging quite happily... i had a job to disconnect the wheel connector but fingers crossed it will all be ok once it's charged!