So, after less than year it happened. My iPod battery went flat. It charges normally it says it's full, but after that it lasts only a few seconds. I abused it a lot so I will not turn this into a rant. We all know what is currently the greatest trouble of human kind - the batteries.

So I checked what my options are. Apple has many suggestions how to care for iPod and it's battery (but now it's too late for me, right?):

The only way those helped me was to determine that my iPod battery is dead. I tried resetting it every way imaginable but no luck. I even ran iPod diagnostics which made me happy as a kid for 30 seconds but then i figured I had no idea what the numbers mean:

So I checked my official options:

So I decided to change the battery myself. There are number of sites that offer 3rd party iPod batteries but it's not simple to find one in Europe that will ship to Slovenia and do that for a decent price.

Then I turned to eBay and found some sellers in Europe and bought one 500 mAh for something like €15 + shipping. Not too expensive. I was just sad I'll have to rip apart the iPod.

And after I won the bid, my iPod, realizing what awaits him decided that the joke is not funny any more and started playing. I think the charging while playing it did the trick. I tested it and it played for 4+ hours straight which is not much less than it did when it was new.

So, iPod is working and the cheap new battery is on its way from UK. Can't complain!

[Update] Well, it wasn't ok for a long. Battery was back to being dead in two days. I changed it few days later.

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:38 PM | Filed under: Gadgets |

# re: iPod battery is dead 1/2/2007 12:02 PM dani
hi my problam is my ipod battery i was charge but is onley one hour i was used .

# re: iPod battery is dead 1/12/2007 1:23 AM Bill
i recently purchased a replacement iPod battery from www.laptopsforless.com and it works great but are there any disadvantages to buying from a third party?

# re: iPod battery is dead 2/12/2007 8:46 PM john
i had my battery replaced at www.theipodfix.com

# re: iPod battery is dead 4/30/2007 4:31 PM Harpreet Dhillon
Using my ipod this morning it froze used that thing where u press menu and centre button, as i didnt have my power adaptor the powers gone.
wondering whether this will have any everlasting damage?

# re: iPod battery is dead 5/10/2007 5:39 AM Jaggi Kalsi
Today morning my ipod went out of power. So when I tried to recharge it through USB it only flashes "battery " logo. I press menu/Play,pause buttons and that logo too went off. Now nothing is coming on the screen. I tried everything after surfing about it on net bit no luck. what do you think Is it a battery related problem or something else.

# re: iPod battery is dead 7/22/2007 8:46 PM Sarah
Ok my iPod battery was dying right? and so then all of a sudden it said "No battery power. Please connect iPod to power" so i plugged it into my computer with the cord thingy, and nothing happened! It still says it on the screen of the iPod. the computer doesnt even aknowledge the fact that it is plugged in! i dont know what to do? what do i do?

# re: iPod battery is dead 8/20/2007 6:55 AM joy
My ipod will recharge then play afterwards, only for about an hour and then it freezes and shuts down. When I press any key, only the apple will appear. Then i charged it again and it played again. This is getting so tiring. Is this problem battery-related? If so, can anyone recommend a good place where I can have it fixed? I don't really trust myself to do it on my own. Bummer.

# re: iPod battery is dead 9/3/2007 12:15 AM Veronica
Mine is doing the same, it only charges with the ipod radio. the usb cable isn't supplying energy

# re: iPod battery is dead 9/4/2007 6:01 AM SaiLoW
Veronica -
The usb cable might be faulty, or the port might be faulty, try it on different usb ports.
Joy -
Depending on the ipod you have, it might be your hard drive crashing, try formating it with windows, then restoring it with itunes, or just restore it with itunes.
Sarah -
You just came close to fully discharging your battery, meaning, its almost out of batteries. I think the rest of the batteries its holding goes towards keeping the time. Just keep it plugged in for over an hour, then fiddle around with it for awhile. Pressing the buttons plugging and unplugging it. If that doesn't work, keep it plugged in longer.
Hydrogen fuel cells -
THE GOVERNMENT'S GAY
cheap mini ipod -
This is one of the better ones, but this guy's English is poor, may lower your IQ.

# re: iPod battery is dead 12/16/2007 11:56 PM George
My iPod Nano Is So Screwed I Can Charge it To Maximum And The Second I Unplug It It Dies. I Put It Back And i Have To Wait Like 10 Minutes Because it Says The Battery Is To Low. Im Not Fixing The Battery Because Im Thinking Of Getting An iPod Touch.

iPod Nano G1
R.I.P. ????-2007

# iPod battery is NOT dead! 1/19/2008 10:41 AM Markos G
My old iPod was not charging properly and died soon after. I thought it was bad battery. But someone at yahoo answer told me about ionhub charger and so I got one and it charged the ipod back to life again! The battery is fine.

# re: iPod battery is dead 8/14/2008 6:00 AM Mike
Ha! I've had my iPod for 2yrs. The battery never lasted more than 8hrs, now it's only usable with my Bose dock. My latest problem is now I can't get it to turn off. Bought a Zune because it was on sale (30Gb w/Halo stuff...$139!!) and it has been great. None of the glitches that I have had with my iPod and it lasts the advertised 12hrs between charges. I'm now going to buy another Zune.

# re: iPod battery is dead 3/14/2009 9:38 AM ipod dead
It's worth adding that if your iPod refuses to go into Disk Mode and you hear a noticeable clicking sound, it's likely a faulty hard drive. If the unit is a Fourth Gen, however, the problem might just be corrosion on the HDD cable and will need cleaned periodically. Good luck & I hope this helps.

ipod dead

# re: iPod battery is dead 5/10/2009 4:33 AM Alex
My Ipod Fat 20 gb it was dead and then when i charged it for 30 mins it charged and then i holded menu and it turned on and then it said apple.com/support/ipod help plz

# re: iPod mini blank 6/20/2009 3:40 AM gabat
My I pod mini is blank.
It is hard drive crashed? or battery?
Any help appreciated
Thanks

# re: iPod battery is dead 1/5/2011 11:01 PM Mazda Cx7 For Sale
I wouldn't say that there's nothing you can do anymore. Some of the new iPod Batteries out there are amazing. You should consider getting yours replaced. My old one lasted a year and a half (I was careful with it too) and the charge was only about 10 hours. Now, I get 18 hour charge and I've had the battery for over two years. You should look into it.

# re: iPod battery is dead 3/23/2011 4:54 AM Nancy
Dear Sir or Madam,

We know your name and address from Google that you are in the market for iPhone spare parts. We avail ourselves of this opportunity to approach you for the establishment of trade relations with you.

We are reliable supplier for iphone, iPad, iPod spare parts and accessories. With direct sources from factory and professional oversea sales team we can provide products with top quality and reasonable price.

In our trade with merchants of various countries, we always adhere to the principle of equality and mutual benefit. It is our hope to promote, by joint efforts, both trade and friendship to our mutual advantage.

We look forward to receiving your enquiries soon. Then we will enclose our price list.

Best regards.

Yours faithfully,
Nancy

provide iphone ipod ipad accessories
Unifuntech Corporation Limited
Tel: +8613570843325
Email: nancy@unifuntech.com
MSN: nancy--lin@hotmail.com
Skype: linzhonglan0828
Website: www.unifuntech.com
Alibaba Gold Supplier: http://unifuntech.en.alibaba.com/

# re: iPod battery is dead 7/6/2011 12:20 AM rea
my ipod screen is pitch black it doesnt matter if i plug it into usb port or not and even itunes not detectibg it!!!!!! :(

# re: iPod battery is dead 8/26/2011 7:33 PM Chris
My iPod is pitch black too and iTunes doesn't detect it either. /: idk what to do

# re: iPod battery is dead 9/1/2011 12:16 AM alex
My ipod touch is 20 months old but i never used it much. My sleep/power button was not working for past few months and it used to turn off every time coz of no battery power, the battery backup also reduced to 2-3 hours of audio. One fine day i tried charging it and it does charge, no battery logo appears, no startup, no apple logo nothin. It is absolutely dead.
I have tried with different charging cords and my iphone chargers but no help.
Is it because of the battery or hardware or software failure?
I cant even try to restore as the power button is not working
Please help, thanks in advance....

# re: iPod battery is dead 12/9/2011 12:05 AM JP
My iPod is doing the same I went over to a friends house and forgot my charger I used his charger that was connected to the wall I came back to my appartment (2 hours away so the battery was flat) I got my charger out and stuck it into the computer and it wasn't charging... help please?