As if the favicon feature of si.blogs site wasn't useless enough, I added another feature with impressively low usefulness factor. I created a map of si.blogs!
Currently only four blogs are listed, so if you have a si.blog get movin' and get your blog on the map! This are instructions copied from the siblogs FAQ.
Q: How can I add my blog on the map?
A: It's quite easy. All you have to do is add location information to your blogs HTML headers and the si.blogs engine will do the rest. You can use ICBM and/or geo.position meta tag.
First, find out your position. If you have GPS, this should be a no-brainer. If you don't have a GPS, I recommend using Google Maps to locate your position:
- open Google Maps (use satellite mode for Slovenia)
- zoom and pan the map so that you find your location
- double click on your location so that it centers on the screen, be as precise as possible
- now click on the "Link to this page" link in the upper-right corner
- the URL in the browser now contains a long link with your position encoded, for example:
- The numbers in bold are your position. The first one is latitude and the second one longitude
- Put those numbers in ICBM and/or geo.position meta header. You can also write down the name of the location and you get something like this:
<meta name="ICBM" content="46.048693, 14.509163">
<meta name="DC.title" content="http://www.siblogs.com">
<meta name="geo.position" content="46.048693;14.509163">
<meta name="geo.region" content="SI">
<meta name="geo.placename" content="Ljubljana Castle">
- Now insert this bit of text in the <head></head> section of your blog template. If you are using WordPress there is a nice plug-in called Geo Plugin that saves you from digging in the HTML. I'm not aware of similar plug-ins for other blogging engines, but if you find them, let me know so I can't point them out here.
- Now refresh you blog in the browser and view the source. If you see location meta tags you are done.
- Siblogs engine will scan will scan the blogs once a day and generate a map of all blogs with location information. If you want to see your self on the map faster, send me a note and I'll refresh the map manually as soon as possible.
You know where you can reach me in case something doesn't work like expected or you need help with getting your blog on the map.