New version available: GetCanon 1.6 has been released!

GetCanon! is a image downloader for Canon digital cameras.

It's small, quick and simple. It can download images, rotate them automatically and delete them from camera. If you hate the "designer" interface of Canon utilities and hate Windows messing with image filenames, this is the right tool for you.

GetCanon! is freeware. It includes open-source program JpegTran from Independent JPEG Group's JPEG software.

Rated 4 stars at SnapFiles

Download:

What's new since version 1.02:

Supported cameras:

• PowerShot A10, PowerShot A20, PowerShot A30, PowerShot A40, PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A80, PowerShot A85, PowerShot A95, PowerShot A100, PowerShot A200, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, PowerShot A400
  • PowerShot S10, PowerShot S20, PowerShot S30, PowerShot S40, PowerShot S45, PowerShot S50, PowerShot S60, PowerShot S70, PowerShot S100, IXY DIGITAL, DIGITAL IXUS, PowerShot S110, IXY DIGITAL 200, DIGITAL IXUS v, PowerShot S200, IXY DIGITAL 200a, DIGITAL IXUS v2, PowerShot S230, IXY DIGITAL 320, DIGITAL IXUS v3, PowerShot S300, IXY DIGITAL 300, DIGITAL IXUS 300, PowerShot S330, IXY DIGITAL 300a, DIGITAL IXUS 330, PowerShot S400, IXY DIGITAL 400, DIGITAL IXUS 400, PowerShot SD100, IXY DIGITAL 30, DIGITAL IXUS II, PowerShot SD10, IXY DIGITAL L, DIGITAL IXUS i, PowerShot SD110, IXY DIGITAL 30a, DIGITAL IXUS IIs, PowerShot S410, IXY DIGITAL 450, DIGITAL IXUS 430, PowerShot S500, IXY DIGITAL 500, DIGITAL IXUS 500, PowerShot SD20, IXY DIGITAL L2, DIGITAL IXUS I5, PowerShot SD200, IXY DIGITAL 40, DIGITAL IXUS 30, PowerShot SD300, IXY DIGITAL 50, DIGITAL IXUS 40,
  • PowerShot G1, PowerShot G2, PowerShot G3, PowerShot G5, PowerShot G6,
  • PowerShot Pro90 IS, PowerShot S1 IS, PowerShot Pro1

Note: This software requires on Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. You probably have it on your computer but if you don't you can download it free from following links:

If you would like to get GetCanon! 1.5 source code contact me.

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 7:55 PM | Filed under: Software Developement |

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/5/2005 5:00 PM BaRtMaN
What about Canon A510/A520?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/5/2005 5:09 PM David
According to Canon specification no. But since it's new camera I think it just wan't available at the time of writting SDK documentation.

Do you have one? Can you test and let me know?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/7/2005 12:42 AM BaRtMaN
Sorry, don't have one. I do fancy having one though so I thought your program would be useful.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/7/2005 6:57 PM David
I would bet that it works!

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/9/2005 11:40 AM Brm
Hi, GetCanon doesn't work on my PC (XP SP2). Maybe it is because I have unsupported Powershot S2 IS, but I don't think so. GetCanon does not start either without my camera connected to PC. Error message does not say anything specific. Just that exception was raised by application and it cannot be handled any more.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/9/2005 10:15 PM 1i
The same happens to me.

I've installed v1.02 and it seems to work (XP SP2).

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/10/2005 5:45 PM Ed
installed, run, exception error (Winxp) process id=0xc48 (3144) thread id=0xbe0(3040)

uninstall, download from a different mirror, install, run, same error.

would like to have it working... :(

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/11/2005 12:55 AM David
Brm, 1i, Ed:
Thanks for trying out GetCanon and sorry it doesn't work for you.
I don't have any idea what could cause this, but I'll have a look ASAP!
I'll build it with older Canon SDK, maybe that's a problem since 1i reports that it works with 1.02.
Check here for report!

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/11/2005 11:19 AM Mates
For information :
Error is not appeared, when 1.02 version is one times started after 1.5 installation (before first run)

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/11/2005 5:26 PM maX0
got the same problem - after start, the System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException is raised...
Looks like a problem in one of the Comboboxes (System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex)

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/11/2005 11:07 PM David
maX0, what camera are you using? S2 IS also?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/12/2005 10:40 AM maX0
using Powershot S60, but now I've got an idea - does the camera has to be connected before the GetCannon! is started?
Will do some testing in the afternoon...

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/12/2005 4:23 PM Rick Gillyon
Hi,

Anyone know if I can get my Canon EOS 10D to appear as a Drive in WinXP using this or any other software? I can't use a card reader, so I really need to attach the camera and address as a drive letter.

Thanks,
Rick

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/12/2005 10:00 PM maX0
David, it just keeps crashin' whether the camera's connected or not... :-(

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/20/2005 12:50 PM David
maX0: Do you have .NET Framework installed properly? Does XP recognize the camera? What error do you get?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/21/2005 10:03 AM maX0
yes, I do - version 1.1 with service pack, everything works fine besides your app... the error is the same as described before (7/11/2005 5:26)

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/21/2005 4:05 PM David
maX0: I really have to look into this. From the top of my head I have to freakin' idea.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/22/2005 1:48 PM satya
installed, run, exception error (Win2000) process id=0x130 thread id=0x57c

OS is win2000 sp4
camera is powershot a95

would like to have it working...

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/24/2005 11:48 PM David
satya: Do you have .NET Framework?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/25/2005 11:06 AM satya
David: yea I have installed the .Net framework and then installed getCanon.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/25/2005 6:30 PM maX0
David: just fit in some more try-catch statements to identify the error...

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/26/2005 7:38 AM Miha
The program works with my Canon PowerShot A520. It sure works with A510 too.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/31/2005 11:55 PM Andrej
It appears GetCanon! 1.5 doesn't work with my EOS 300D (no camera found), while version 1.02 continues to work perfectly.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/1/2005 12:00 AM David
Andrej:
Yes, the support for EOS based cameras was dropped by the Canon in 7.0 of their SDK. I'm sorry that happened, but owners of those cameras probably use card readers anyway.
There is a separate SD for EOS cameras and I could build special version of GetCanon, but I don't think there is a wide enough demand for something like that.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/1/2005 8:07 AM Andrej
Yup, it looks like they continue supporting EOS cameras through RC-SDK 8.3...

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/1/2005 2:40 PM David
maX0: Can you test the 1.6 beta?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/1/2005 8:40 PM Demos
Great little program! Lean, fast and free - just the way I like my software. Zoombrowser is just so bloated. Keep up the excellent work, David!

It would be neat if you could run GetCanon! from the AutoPlay menu in Windows XP when you connect the camera. I've tried doing it myself through Microsoft TweakUI but without much success.

I also experienced the exception error other people decribe when I first installed GetCanon! 1.5. I then installed the old 1.02 version which ran fine and when I later on tried running 1.5 again I had no problems.

I'd like to do a Danish UI translation. If you're interested, drop me an email - demosdk@gmail.com.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/2/2005 7:57 PM maX0
David: Yup, the 1.6 beta works without any errors :-) Looks like you solved it.... thnx :-)

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/3/2005 9:30 AM David
Tnx, max0. Could you please contact me through my contact form?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/5/2005 6:38 PM Bruno Silva
Hi!
I am using GetCanon 1.02 with my EOS 10D camera. There is a problem though.
For example, I download 4 pictures from my camera to the computer using the GetCanon program. But If I format the card, the next time I try to download new pictures, the GetCanon keeps telling me that there are no no images. This only happens if I choose to "Transfer new images only". If I uncheck this option, the program will work fine.
Please, can you help me?
I tried version 1.5 and 1.6 but the program doesn´t recognize my camera. I would like to use this new version. Please, can you make it work with my camera? I really need it!
Bruno

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/15/2005 7:28 AM gmavor
I get an error with the int value in 1.5 and 1.6 (S230)
> system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(int value) + 0x175 bytes

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/16/2005 10:28 PM David
Bruno: The problem you are describing is know "feature". GetCanon collects the filesname of pictures you downloaded and next time it encounters the same number it doesn't try to download it again. But if you format the card the nubmering begins from 1. That's when trouble starts.

To solve this I added a "Clear history" button in version 1.5, but unfortunaltely it won't work with your 10D as Canon seperated pro cameras into different SDK. There is a plan to create two versions of GetCanon but I'm afraid it will not happen any time soon.

What you can do is locate the file in which GetCanon stores histry. You can usualy find it in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\GetCanon\History.xml. Be sure to substitute Username with your username. Just delete the file and GetCanon will forget all picture numbers it transfered.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 8/16/2005 10:29 PM David
gmvaor & everyone else with the crash:
There is a new beta out. I think I finally got the crash. Can you test it for me, please?

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 10/30/2005 8:42 PM Allistah
I installed v1.5 and it crashed on me too. I have XP SP2. Installing v1.6 beta4 fixed the problem. I have a A300 camera and I guess it can't auto rotate the pictures from it. When it does the rotate, do the pictures lose any quality like when you use the built in camera wizard in XP?

Great app, thanks!

-Allistah

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 11/6/2005 2:11 PM David
No, the rotation is lossless, that's very improtant feature.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 1/23/2006 10:43 PM BeSt
David ! You say :

But it seems it has changed ..

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 1/23/2006 10:52 PM David
I don't get it? Why do you think that? There is a seperated SDK for compact cameras in EOS. There seems to be the third SDK for PowerShot S80 & PowerShot A620

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 1/24/2006 1:28 PM BeSt
In fact, I thought this :
Canon didn't drop EOS in their SDK ... So GetCanon can evolute to fully support my EOS 350D (=Rebel XT) camera.

Actually, with getCanon 1.02, I can't download RAW files ... so getCanon is the same as cam2pc TO ME.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 2/28/2006 8:17 PM matt
what about registering it as an event handler to auto run on plug in...

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/8/2007 11:18 AM Jon
GetCanon 1.5 does not work for me. XP with SP1. The exception is as other users mentioined above.

1.6 runs but cannot connect to the cam (IXUS 55).

This software has problems. Good luck!

Anybody know an equivalent?
Is Canon Zoombrowser any good?

Jon

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 7/12/2007 10:16 PM Arjan
for all the people who have problems to run getcanon 1.5 on XP:
- After installing 1.5, I ran getcanon 1.02 once. After that, 1.5 worked like a charm for some reason.

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 12/5/2007 7:26 PM JD
Does this work on Windows Vista with Canon camera's A510 or A520

# re: GetCanon! 1.5 1/20/2008 1:49 AM Finella
Hi David,

My Canon Ixus v2 used to work well with Windows XP. Now I've upgraded to Vista. GetCanon doesn't recognise my camera. My computer does. Could you please help me?