You have probably heard and read in gazzilion time by now.

Things to note and think about:

• Current Apple users are pissed. Apple must have a good reason to betray their user base.
  • Games! Games! Games!
  • iMovies? iMovies!? iMovies!
  • How the hell is Apple going to keep their pretty OS of cheep ol' PCs?
  • How the hell is Apple going to keep Windows of their pretty hardware?

Huge success or a shot in the leg: when will the betting begin?

Update: Jobs said Apple will allow running Windows on Macs, but not OS X on other PCs. Read the last paragraph.

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:48 AM | Filed under: System |

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/7/2005 11:54 AM Bo
(Ups. I'd like to post this one one more time. Administrator: please remove my previous post.)

A (be)dazzling move.
Which IT-ist (with a sense for coolness) hasn't been following the works on Apple and Pixar? It's much related to Steve Job's personal story in my opinion. I think he never made any stupid move. (Including the one of not having reached the physics degree he'd set out to reach.)
I wonder though whether he wanted to wed Sony-Toshiba-IBM (and their Cell) before the Intel?

References:
- WWDC2005 Job's Keynote: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/
- book: iCon,
- tour around Pixar HQ: http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19658#1

"I have a very simple life," he says, without a trace of irony. "I have my family, and I have Apple and Pixar. And I don't do much else."

-- from Newsweek: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5506131/site/newsweek/

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/7/2005 12:20 PM David
Removed.

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/7/2005 1:47 PM Jonas Žnidaršič
Um, I don't see users being pissed. I do see zealots being pissed for no reason other than zealotry.

What "betrayal of user base"? Huh? Are you saying users WANT the Power PC chip? Really? Naah, they want the Mac experience and that my friend will shine snappier on Intel in the future.

Users will not be bothered by the transition. The Mac will still be the Mac, user will not care what's in the box. A user who doesn't care about the insides won't even notice the change.

The transition will only bother developers a bit (they will have to recompile their apps with a few tweaks) but they will have a couple of years to do their thing. With the excellent Apple developer support it will be a cinch.

Remember, this move is NOT about licencing Mac OS X to PC clones. It's about changing the heart of the Mac machine to beat faster in the future and that's about it.

A quote from Apple VP Phil Schiller: "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac."

-Jonas

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/7/2005 1:53 PM David
I see users pissed on jabuk.net. I see why they feel that way, but guess it's just that they are feel thaty getting something less. PowerPC was for elite, WinTel is for masses.

I totaly agree with you, that nothing will change for Mac users. They will get faster machines, that's all.

But it will be interesting to see what can Apple do to stop users from using OS X on regular PC machines. You can't stop a crowd of bored hackers...

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/7/2005 2:54 PM Mare
> A quote from Apple VP Phil Schiller: "We will not allow running
> Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac."

Če bo kernel tekel na Pentiumu, je samo vprašanje časa, kdaj se bo OSX pojavil na ostalih PCih.
Še seminarske bodo na to temo študentje.

Kar se pa Appleta tiče, bo šel z OSX na PC, če bo zavohal lep profit margin (ok, pustimo, da ima že zdaj ogromnega). Ne vidim poslovnega razloga, zaradi katerega Apple ne bi hotel pobrati še dodatnega denarja z minimalno vloženimi sredstvi.

Torej: na dolgi rok bomo imeli lahko na PCu tudi OSX (kakorkoli se bo pač že imenoval takrat)

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/15/2005 12:56 PM Bo
Everybody could subscribe to - http://www.macrumors.com/macrumors.xml -, it is usually a cool read.

Steve Jobs lately: "I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods in my life."

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/17/2005 9:36 AM Mare
Evo, še prej, kot smo pričakovali: http://tabletpcthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/06/apples-first-tablet-pc.html

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/22/2005 9:41 PM Bo
I promise I will try this to be my last post about Steve Jobs since it captures much.
Steve Jobs gave lately a speech at the Stanford University to an audience of youngsters.
The speech is a great read in my opinion, and though of course highly subjective, a much better read than his biographies, e.g. iCon.
He tells three stories. A story about:
- connecting the odds,
- love and loss
- and death.

Through telling his life philosophy - humor, intellect, ambitions - shines.
I recommend reading it.

-- http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

# re: Apple's puzzling move 6/23/2005 8:42 AM David
Hi, Bo.

I love your links, so don't hold back, if you have something to say, say it!

# re: Apple's puzzling move 4/3/2009 10:18 PM araba oyunları
araba oyunları kategorisini kayıt yaptırdım faka en yeni oyunlarda oynamak isteyenlerde bu siteye girebilirler Oyunlar1 araba oyunlarında oyun oynamak isteyenler bu siteyi öneririm, Araba Oyunları , en son oyunların buluduğu harika bir oyun sitesi olan bu, En Son Oyunlar sitedede oyun oynamalarını tavsiye ediyorum avatar oyunları denilince akla gelen ilk sitemiz En Yeni Oyunlar , da oynamalarını tavsiye ederim teşakkürler ( thanks)

# re: Apple's puzzling move 4/3/2009 10:21 PM maç oyunları