Spring is near and sun is shining. Obviously that's good for new iPods growing around me.
Last time I counted they were three new iPod owners in my vicinity. All of them are asking me for tricks on usage and so on, so I'll summarize some of my tips here:
- I use iTunes for transferring music to iPod. I tried ml_iPod (WinAmp Media Library iPod plug-in, free) and Anapod Explorer (Windows Explorer plug-in for your iPod, shareware $25). I liked Anapod so much that I even registered, but then I gave up. The main reason are Smart Playlists.
- A Smart Playlist is a song list on iPod which is updated automatically depending a set of rules. Some of my include: Added today ("Date added" in last 1 days), Added lately ("Date added" in last 10 days), Best (rating >= 4), Best of the Best (rating = 5), Just music (with Griffin's iTrip MP3s), Not rated, Played most (Top 25 sorted by Play Count) and Played never (Play Count = 0). If you user ml_iPod or Anapod Explorer, your SmartPlaylists are converted to static Playlists. That sux big time! It's real pain creating the over and over again. (But wait! I have a plan. More about it later...) And that's why I don't use ml_iPod or Anapod Explorer.
- I don't know any iPod manager that works correctly with SmartPlaylists (no, that doesn't mean that there aren't any).
- Syncing folders sux if you have more them 5 MP3s. User drag and drop.
- There is a need to reset an iPod from time to time. I have to do it when I totally discharged it. I don't know if it's normal. It happened to me couple of times only. No, data is not lost after a reset.
- Your iPod will scratch. So will your car, your phone, you glasses. Get over it.
- Did you check if you have the latest iPod software?
- You cannot use iTunes store in Slovenia. Yet. I hope. You can browse, search and listen to previews. It's still cool. You need iTunes in order to get to the iTunes Store, you cannot use any other web browser.
- You cannot buy iTrip in EU. You can use eBay.com or eBay.de though.
- Yes, I use iTrip. There are additional frequencies available for download on Griffin site. I use 87.8 and i found only 2 places it didn't work for me. One in Zoisova in Ljubljana, and some 10 km somewhere between Novo Mesto and Čatež.
- My battery is still quite OK. I don't take good care of it. 80% of the time my iPod is connected to my work or home computer and it charges. I only charged it 4 or 6 times with a wall charger or car charger.
- Your battery will degrade. So will your car battery, you phone battery (nope, no glasses with batteries around here) Get over it.
- I use USB2 cable at home and FireWire cable at work. There is no noticeable difference in any way.
- I ordered by iPod and iTrip over eBay.
- Do use M4B for listening to audio books and talk shows.
Any other questions, n00bs?