One of the highlights of our skiing vacation was a board game called Settlers of Catan (Naseljenci otoka Catan, Die Siedler von Catan), which was suggested to me be a co-worker. I haven't heard about the game before. If that's the case with you, the author is Klaus Teuber, obviously a huge name in board games with couple of "Best game of the Year" awards. The game is very popular, there is even a world championship played each year.

At first we weren't impressed since it looked quite boring, but once you are past your game one, you start to love it. And you can hardly wait for spare hour so you can blow it off on Catan. It's not just the game of chances, tactics and negotiations skills have a lot to do with it. It's kind of similar to Settlers and other strategic computer games.

Few days ago I discovered there is a nice computerized version of the game available from Microsoft and through Yahoo! and MSN, and there are a lot of web sites dedicated to the game:

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:05 PM | Filed under: Stuff Software |

# re: Settlers of Catan / Naseljenci otoka Katan 3/6/2005 5:12 PM natasa
Looks interesting. What about the prize? Looser gets drunk?

# re: Settlers of Catan / Naseljenci otoka Katan 3/6/2005 7:00 PM David
It's 5.800 SIT or something like that. Not too much. No, the looser didn't get drunk in our case. It's not that kind. User gets sad or even mad. ;)

# re: Settlers of Catan / Naseljenci otoka Katan 3/8/2005 4:52 PM Martin
Hej

It is easy to get addicted to Catan. Here is another link for online gaming http://settlers.cs.northwestern.edu/ . Recommend Server 1 or 2. The other is for no trading and championships. Called Ladder games.

Will also let you know that there are extended version of the board game. So keep up playing :-)

# re: Settlers of Catan / Naseljenci otoka Katan 3/8/2005 10:29 PM David
Martin, tnx for the link!

# re: Settlers of Catan / Naseljenci otoka Catan 7/31/2008 6:00 PM mimo