This has been the longest non-blogging period so far. I just didn't find the time and the will during this crazy Christmas / New Year time. I was also busy at work but things are calming down. So, what I wanted to blog about, but I didn't have the time?

• My CodeProject article was quite a success. There are two excellent feature request that I have to implement. It's really great feeling to give something to people and they like it.
  • It looks that lemmings don't do mass suicides.
  • I finally caught up on .NET Rocks! episodes and I managed to listen through Mondays episodes. I like the new/old DNR format without the jokes and stuff, just with the interview. But I'm not sure the Mondays is the way to go. First show was crap (it's first, i imaging it must be very hard), second was a lot better, the third I actually liked a lot, but I was again disappointed with the fourth show. I think the serious interview isn't the right stuff to do, second think, the show should be shorter and fun more condensed. There is just not enough material for more that 1 hour show. At least at the beginning. If you haven't listed to it yet, you can try. The prerequisite is that you have a little weird sense of humor, if you don't don't even bother. You still have the time to catchup, DNR and Mondays will come back next Monday. Hurry up.
  • I hope I can read through Dissecting a C# Application: Inside SharpDevelop, a free Ebook by apress. I suspect there is a lot to be learned from this project.
  • I got some books from Amazon delivered before holidays and I had to pay 8.5% tax. What the!? Never happened before. Anyone has any information what's going on? And note to Slovenian bookstores. The books on Amazon.com are at least 30% cheaper when you have them delivered from USA (even with a tax) than in your stores. I hope you are not wondering why almost nobody buys books anymore.
  • Janne Ahonen rocks!
  • My iPod got an iSkin. Thanks, Mare!
  • Have fun in 2005!
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 6:13 PM | Filed under: Stuff Developement |

# re: Finally, I'm back! 1/3/2005 10:34 PM m
test

# re: Finally, I'm back! 1/3/2005 10:39 PM MarkoH
hmm i had posted one comment before that test and it didn't show up, though I'm almost certain I entered the right code..anyway, you didn't expect to get something without tax ? not in this country:) 8.5% is VAT (DDV)..
And even if you ordered from amazon.com, books were still probably shipped from Europe (Germany)..at least that was the case with my last order.
But I agree with you on prices, though the differences are not as big as it used to be.

# re: Finally, I'm back! 1/3/2005 10:45 PM David
I order books from Amazon all the time. But this is the first time that I had to pay tax. That's what is confusing.

# re: Finally, I'm back! 1/3/2005 10:46 PM David
And "test" is shown. I see it.

# re: Finally, I'm back! 1/3/2005 11:07 PM Michael M.
I order from Amazon regularly and I've noticed that they sometimes let it go through with no tax and sometimes make you pay. (I guess it depends on who is working and if they're in a good mood or not.)

What really makes me angry, though, is that they tax the value of the package PLUS shipping. I once tried to buy books for a value below the allowed limit and they taxed me anyway, because the $10 postage fees pushed me over. Ugh.

On a brighter note: It's great to see you back in action again!

# re: Finally, I'm back! 1/3/2005 11:20 PM David
Yes, it must the human factor. And that really sux.

When I had my iPod and eBay adventure I also had to pay import taxes on shipping and ensurance. I asked the not-so-friendly lady behind the counter if that's ok and she, without an eye blinck, answered with a loud YES. She convinced me. :)