I had serious data issues lately.

Incident 1: On Wednesday I packed my bags and iPod just before I went on short sailing vacations. I added one great song to music and podcast packed iPod. I planned a lot of relaxing and iPod was important part. Only on Hvar I realized that I messed up my last sync with iPod and the only song I had on it was the last one. Mini disaster.
What I learned: Do not ever use two iPod managers at the same time. Especially not iTunes and ml_iPod.

Incident 2: When I came back my brand new 200 GB WD hard drive died. Died as in dead. Not working. Disk volume name was Data, so you can image what I lost. 10+ years of email, 2 years of photos, my documents, Mojca's documents, sources to some of my projects. I have some backups but they are outdated and not complete. Major disaster.
What I learned: Backup. If you buy a DVD writer, use it to burn backups, stupid.

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 10:53 PM | Filed under: Stuff |

# re: How not to take care of your data 11/5/2004 7:49 AM dejan
If you would just try to use Backup program who came with DVD burner... Sorry. But I learned. Today I will do backup with my CD burner :)

# re: How not to take care of your data 11/5/2004 8:14 AM David
I would probably back everything up next week. Or week after that. I'm sure I would!

# re: How not to take care of your data 11/5/2004 4:03 PM Dr. Kruegell
I had a couple of dead disks from 2001. It all started with IBM Deathstar.
And I've learned 2 things:
-always have a mirror disk in your computer (preferably with FAT32 file system),
-the larger disk you have, the more things you can lose when it goes to digital heaven or hell.

# re: How not to take care of your data 11/5/2004 11:48 PM Marko
A case for Ontrack(http://www.ontrack.com)..hope you haven't destroyed the disk yet:)
We had this kind of problem once, very important data. They recovered almost everything we wanted and burned it on 6 CDs. It costs, but for what you told I think it's worth it.

# re: How not to take care of your data 5/17/2007 8:26 PM Joe Keys
The exact thing happened to me a few months ago, I ended up sending it to a company in New Jersey Data Recovery Labs. The same company also have an economy version on another site. It ended up costing only a few hundred bucks and I avoided all the hastles of reloading everything.

# re: How not to take care of your data 5/31/2007 4:31 PM Jason
Ever since my drive crash I've been backing up religiously. I took my drive to CBL (http://www.cbltech.com) and they saved my data. Worked to be cheaper than the other guys too.

# re: How not to take care of your data 5/31/2007 4:36 PM Jason

# Do you have a backup strategy for your data? 9/17/2007 10:32 PM Bite my bytes
Do you have a backup strategy for your data?