We had quite aloud debate today at work about whether you should charge brand new Li-Ion batteries for 16 hours or not. I was sure it's not necessary but I had to prove my stance.

I did some googling and now I'm absolutely positively 100% sure you DON'T need to charge new Li-Ion batteries for 16 hours. This is one of the stories that tries to go deep on the subject and don't just say "do it just to be sure". Of course, there are people that say just that, but they all say it from the top of their head, no one has given any proof or link.

So, any warning that says you should overcharge must be general and it's not specific to Li-Ion batteries. It covers all kinds batteries.

The reason why overcharging is good is obviously this thing called "trickle charge" and it exists in Ni-Mh batteries. This is a charging phase that follows the "fast charge" phase (that's when the phone/camera/other device shows that the battery is full). Li-Ion batteries and charges do not have "trickle charge" and when your charger/gadget says battery is full, it's full.

Another thing is that Li-Ion batteries do not have the memory effect. So you don't need to fully discharge and then fully charge your batteries every time.

But yes, your battery will die on you. Soon or later.

Probably the most useful information I found is a table of do's and dont's for different kind of batteries. I think it tells more or less everything you should know about your batteries. Check it out!

Your sales person probably told you that it's really good to over charge you batteries for the first time. Best reply to this statement was given by a guy named James at alt.cellular.nokia newsgroup: Sales clerks are not allowed to know what they're talking about.

Some links if you would like to check things for yourself:

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 5:49 PM | Filed under: Photography Stuff Internet |

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 4/6/2007 2:17 AM lev
very useful info, thx! :]

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 5/23/2007 2:52 PM Matt
See: http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap4-page8.asp

You can't trickle charge a Li-ion. Overcharging (> 4.2V per cell) of Li-ion will damage the cells. So looks like after about 4 hours, the charger should not continue to output current.

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 7/25/2007 5:01 PM zlatev
so confused. i've been told that the first (even second and third) charge should be no less than 12 hours. that's in every store, every dealer i've spoken with. it's good i found this post. thanks. USEFUL for LIFE

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 10/26/2007 3:01 PM patricia
i have got a s/hand oregon scientific MPEG-4 Digital Video Camera DV100. i'm trying to get a replacment battery I have not been lucky. can you help? 3.7v 720mah

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 11/3/2007 9:50 AM Mrs Patricia Shepherd
i have got a oregon scientific camera dv100. i'm trying to get a replacment. can you help? 3.7v 720mah

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 6/2/2010 7:16 PM Kristian Enné Bæk
Very usefull post, thanks!!!

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 9/1/2010 1:07 PM Site Ekle
Yes I like it Thanks

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 6/19/2011 12:40 PM Veenita
Hi,
I am after the following battery
Nominal Voltage:3.7V
Charging Voltage Limit: 4.2V
Imp Lementationof standards: GB/T 18287-2000
Can you please let me know if you have this or where can I get it from.
Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 8/19/2011 11:12 PM Andrius
THanks man this is a mindfuck post :D I also thought that first charges of the new battery must be of 12 hours or so, but from NOW on, I'm not charging any Li-Ion bateries longer than "battery full".

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 10/21/2011 10:58 PM common sense
Will you people quit asking where to find a certain battery. I mean he's not a store and I'm pretty sure it doesn't say in this article to ask him about where to find a battery. Just type it in on google, bunch of tards.

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 11/1/2011 9:33 AM mankatta
oonum purialla

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 11/10/2011 12:46 AM robbie
Lithion batteries should be fully discharged once every 30 cycles ONLY to callibrate it. Meaning that the meter for the battery shows the correct charge level again as that tends to give false information after a few partial discharges.

To answer a very popular question out there,
Should i charge batteries after buying a new device?
OR
Should i do a full charge before powering on my new device?
No! Devices that are sold today are charged in the factories to about 40% or less, this means that the battery is ready for use out-of-the-box.
Note that this only counts for lithion batteries!
For nickel batteries, you need to do a full charge, but definetaly NOT 24 houres because nickel batteries discharge themselves when fully charged which could damage the battery because some of the liquid could crystalize, disabling some of the liquid to be charged the next time you charge. A complete disharge wont help you, i'm affraid...

A really good tip as given in the post... Don't ask clerks for advice, as they're probably gonna give you unacurate info which might even be in your disadvantage.

# re: First charging of Li-Ion batteries 12/17/2011 2:40 PM Tim
Planning to purchase a new galaxy ace which will already have some battery power in it. So should I drain the full battery and charge it up full or should I charge it as soon as I get it to full.