**** Newer version of GetCanon is released. Please fix your links to point to http://www.vidmar.net/getcanon! ****

GetCanon! is a image downloader for Canon digital cameras. It's small, quick and hassle free. It can download images, rotate them and delete them from camera. If you hate the "designer" interface of Canon utilities and hate Windows XP messing with filenames, this is the right tool for you. GetCanon! is freeware. It includes open-source program JpegTran from Independent JPEG Group's JPEG software.

If you would like to get it's source code, just contact me.

GetCanon! in action:

GetCanon! version history:

• 1.02 (05.04.2004)
    • Set rotation tag in images after rotate.
    • Correct copying of EXIT data after rotate.
  • 1.01 (20.03.2004)
    • Option to delete original image after rotate.
    • Option to create subfolder based of image timestamp.
    • Small UI bug fixes.
  • 1.00 (01.02.2004)
    • Initial Release.

Download GetCanon! v1.02

Note: This software runs on Microsoft .NET Framework. Get it from one of this links:

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 3:38 PM | Filed under: Software |

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 4/28/2004 11:44 PM Phil Dorman
I downloaded Get Canon with no problem but could not get the application to install. Then I tried to remove it and received an error message "Cannot delete EWatch: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use." I'm too frustrated trying to install it; now just want to delete it but cannot. Why.

Pdorman@activetradermag.com

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 4/29/2004 9:02 AM David
I'll help you don't worry. First of all, you don't need to install my app. You just unzip it any folder and run GC.EXE and you are done. As stated in the program info and on my page, Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 is required. You can get it from Microsoft Windows Update or as standalone .exe file (23 mb). Just follow a like on my page or do a search on google.

If you wan't to uninstall GetCanon, just delete all files. If you cannot delete some of them, they must be in use somehow. The simplest way to fix that is to restart your machine. Then you should be able to delete all files.

Sorry for your trouble. You are the first one to have this kind of problem. I'll look into it.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/3/2004 11:12 AM jac Willekens
Dear Sir,
It's a user-friendly and wonderfull working downloader for XP! Much, much better than Canon's downloader!

But I have two little problems:
- after "save setting", I could not change the setting "create Image date subfolders" as a permanent setting, after the first save settings (so...what did I do wrong?).
- automatically rotating did not work (so again...what did I do wrong ?).

This downloader is easy-to-use, fast, and very reliable!!!

Jac

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/3/2004 12:04 PM David
Hi, Jac!

I'm glad you like the program!

I am aware of setting "Create Image Date Subfolder" not saving and this bug will be fixed in next version due in a week or two.

New version will also include Slovenian, Italian and German language, setup and some other small bugfixes.

About rotating... What kind of camera do you have? Some cameras don't include orientation info in the exif data.

Could you send me one original picture from camera that should but doesnt rotate?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/16/2004 12:43 PM Robi
Aloha iz LJ !

Well, I tested it and it's fine tool. One view to all possible features. You just select best way you want it. And it downloads faster

I have also found bugs mentioned before. Beside that I have also new features suggestions:
- prefix for filenames with autonumbering (not needed to be original from CF)
- Downloaded date as subfolder name
- option to select GetCanon as default program for "DeviceConected" Event

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/24/2004 10:11 PM David
Zdravo Robi!

Hvala za komentarje! Thanks for you comments. Bug will be fixed in the version 1.10 due in couple of days, other features will just have to wait for 1.5. Sorry, I just don't have the time to work on GetCanon right know.

You can already create folder based on image date, check out the "Create Image Date Subfolder".

# Slovenian Freeware 5/25/2004 9:05 AM D.Dogaja

# "failed to initialize properly " 5/26/2004 12:55 AM visitor@zaz.com.br
When I double-click GC.exe, I get this:

"GC.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Running Windows XP pro, Canon G3
It is working since when I connect the camera the images are copied automatically. But I'd like to choose the Settings options.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/26/2004 10:56 PM David
Are you sure you copied all files from the zip? Could you exactly decsribe what you do to make this happen?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/31/2004 10:33 PM Robi
To be honest, Get Canon 1.02 crashed twice (of 10) on my XP. I think it's related to camera auto-off and thus disconecting...

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/31/2004 10:54 PM David
Could you please tell more about how manged to crash it? It would really help me get rid of the error. Thanks!

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 6/1/2004 3:28 PM Frank Wilson
I've downloaded getcanon and microsoft.net, the box opens but it won't connect to my camera. What do i have to do please.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 6/18/2004 3:45 AM Max Christian
GetCanon won't recognise my PowerShot G3. When I click Refresh it pauses for a few seconds and then comes back with only (None) in the list.

I'm a .NET developer and might be able to find time to debug it for you if you want to send me the source code. Address is my first name at maxuk.net

Cheers

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 6/22/2004 10:14 AM RaVen
I like GC very much and so far I tested it it works with my Canon EOS300D (aka EOS REBEL).
But as I do not want to use a cable to transfer data from the camera to my computer (because it uses much of my batteries) it would be a nice feature to be able to transfer pics from a flashcard to the computer. I know that this not the original idea of GC but it would help me very much to automate the process of moving pics to my comp.

Thanks for that great app.

RaVen

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/9/2004 5:27 PM emily
Hi,

I downloaded getcanon as well as microsoft .net framework just fine. But when i open the getcanon application, it doesn't seem to recognize my camera (Canon PowerShot S300). Nothing shows up in the transfer section. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Emily

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/9/2004 5:29 PM emily
i'm sorry, i need to correct myself. nothing shows up in the connect section, much less the transfer section (since i can't even click on that section without a recognized connection).

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/12/2004 8:54 AM David
Hi, Emily

That's very interesting. Does original Canon software recognize your camera? How about Windows? What flavor of Windows are you using?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/16/2004 3:50 AM David Lister
Many thanks for the useful software.

When I first used GetCanon!, I created and selected a Destination Directory. I cannot now change this (ie, I would like to download into a different directory). When I select a new Destination Directory, the downloads are transferred into the new directory, but the settings do not hold - the next time I download, the old directory is selected. Is this similar a similar bug to the Create Image Date Subfolders bug?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/16/2004 8:33 AM David
I'm not aware of that bug, but I'll surely take a look. There is a new version due for release and I'll fix it in that release.

In the mean time, you can try to open C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\GetCanon\Settings.xml, in notepad and you'll see where destionation folder can be changed.

Thanks for saying nice words about GetCanon! :)

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/16/2004 3:06 PM David Lister
Thanks for the info.

Apologies - there isn't a problem with GetCanon! and the default download directory. The problem was my fault - I have only just noticed the 'Save settings' button. I wasn't pressing this button before.

Thanks for letting me know where the 'Settings' file is located.

I seem to have been able to make 'Create image date subfolders' sticky by editing the file
<CreateImagesDateSubfolders>TRUE</CreateImagesDateSubfolders>

However, it does seem to revert to FALSE whenever the 'Save settings ' button is pressed (ie, when pressing 'Save settings' when the download directory has been changed.

Once again, thanks for the app - it does evrything I need it to do.

Regards

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 8/23/2004 1:05 AM PC
I have the same problem as Emily -- XP Professional, Canon and Windows both recognise the camera.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 8/23/2004 1:59 PM Jan
I have downloaded your prog twice, and took it off once. Both times I get the error notice
.DLL file MSCOREE.DLL was not found.
Solution please, and. how do you get it onto your desktop as well, so that I know what I am doing ?.
I operate on W98, Dell computer. Have Canon A300 Dig/Camera.
Thanks. JW

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 8/23/2004 6:03 PM David
PC: Please try another USB port!

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 9/10/2004 11:33 PM Thiago
Hi, very good software, but:

Can GetCanon be "auto-executed" when the camera goes connected to usb using Windows XP?

Others softwares do this and I really appreciate that.

Thanks.

# Spot on, David! 10/11/2004 11:01 AM Pedro Fonseca
Great stuff, David. There are a couple of minor fixes as described by the other users but overall its perfect: simple and fast. The sw from canon is annoying: does not work on half battery charge, generates unnecessary thumbs, sometimes says there is nothing in the CF...

Keep up the good work.

# Why .Net? 10/20/2004 5:41 AM Kaos
Hi! Why to use the .NET framework? some special component?
I like your program but I don´t trust too much in the .Net framework.

I´ve installed the Information Services in the same Win XP Pro, but I get Failed to initialize. Do you know why this error?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 10/20/2004 8:39 AM David
Why .NET? Because it's the greatest developer environment ever. C# is amazing, managed programming in great and it's gonna get even better with .NET 2.0. I would choose .NET again anytime!

You can easily trust .NET Framework.

# Integer overflow & feature requests for 1.02 10/20/2004 10:18 AM Martin
Thanks for writing this great program, David! It works great most of the time, but I guess I've stumbled across a bug:

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int16.
at System.Convert.ToInt16(UInt32 value)
at DavidVidmar.GC.MainForm.ProgressCallbackFunction(UInt32 Progress, UInt16 cdProgressStatus, UInt32 Context)
at DavidVidmar.CanonSDK.cdAPI.CDGetImageData(UInt32 hImgData, cdStgMedium& pStgMediumDest, cdProgressCallbackFunction pCallbackFunc, UInt32 Context, UInt32 ProgressOption)
at DavidVidmar.GC.MainForm.Transfer(String _sDestination, cdProgressCallbackFunction _callback)
at DavidVidmar.GC.MainForm.Transfer()
at DavidVidmar.GC.MainForm.btnTransfer_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

********************************
When I click Continue it just hangs...
I guess it's because I have a memory-card that's too big (256MB), so the progressbar overflows.

I also have two feature-requests:
- Rotated images have and _R-suffix, but could you make this configurable? I don't like _R ;) ust the original filename would be great ;)
- Could you do an automatic rename of movies/photos, so they start with the number, instead of IMG_ or MVI_? This way the sorting is automatically good (chronological).

Keep up the good work!

# A little thing 10/20/2004 10:31 AM Martin
Oh, and the date of rotated images is set to the moment it was rotated, instead of the date the picture was taken.
I thought that using 'Transfer only new images' might help for the bug I posted above, but the program started to transfer all images again, instead of starting from the point where it crashed.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 11/22/2004 11:44 PM Arjan
First of all; I like you hassle free program a lot. It's much better than the annoying canon software included with my camera.
Perhaps you would like to introduce more features in a next version of getcanon, like uploading files to the camera and extracting exif data. I'd like that very much.
Thanks for all the good work!

# Next Version 11/23/2004 4:06 AM Dmitry Asmùl
Is there any possibility of an update as to the release date of the next version of GetCanon!? I cannot begin to describe how useful this program is. Thanks!

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 12/14/2004 5:25 PM Mick Gray, London
Hi, I downloaded GetCanon as I heard it was great for transferring the images from the camera ( A95 ) and performing the lossless rotation - which it does very well, and doesn't bloat the filesize like some other lossless rotation programs seem to do. Congratulations!

My comments are that 1/ if I tick 'delete original after rotation' then I'd prefer the filename did Not have '_R ' in it.
2/ I'd prefer that .JPG and .AVI files all had the same prefix ( all called IMG*****. is fine - or make it an option that users can set ) so that they remain in chronological order.

For interest, I've found I can't upload rotated ( with other s/w)images or .AVI files back onto the CF card ( so I can play them back on other people's TVs ) That's going to be my next experiment.

Thanks for the software, hope the feedback helps.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 12/16/2004 8:20 PM Paul
Wow -- this is a great utility! One feature I would love to see is the ability to prepend a string to the filenames, based on which camera you're downloading from. I have two canons -- 20D and S70 and I often use both cameras at the same event. I put my images into folders based on the event, not the camera or shoot date, so it's hard to tell (without looking at the EXIF data) which camera I downloaded each image from. It would be great if I could just select "Prepend camera name to filename" or something and it would turn:

IMG_1234.jpg

into
S70_IMG_1234.jpg
or
20D_IMG_1234.jpg

during or after the download process.

Thanks for the great program.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 12/17/2004 9:10 PM David
Thanx to all who complimented GetCanon. I'm very very happy that you find it useful. About new features...

Thanks also for contributing new ideas, some of them are really cool. I'll definetly put them all on my to-do list, but I can't really promise when or if they will be implemented.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 12/21/2004 11:16 AM mario ori
hi, I need to connect with my canon a75 with visual basic. do you have some example to implement it?

thank you!

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 12/21/2004 11:23 AM David
Just apply for a Canon Developer program and you'll get it!

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 12/21/2004 2:28 PM mario
hi, I cannot join to Canon Developer Support USA because I live in Italy.
I downloaded sdk from european site, but there isn't visual basic example (only vc++)...

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 1/2/2005 12:29 AM another david
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for: something that just works! Thanks!!!

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 1/10/2005 7:33 PM Malcolm
I have been using 20D with Photoshop Elements v3 to download images but thought I would try GetCanon! v1.02. When running GC.EXE the 20D appears in the Connect box but when I click CONNECT I get "Error connecting to camera!". Re-booting doesn't help and the usb port is the same one as works with Elements (and Explorer!)

Any suggestions?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 1/21/2005 3:39 PM joe@creegans.co.uk
Hi,

I downloaded getcanon and installed microsoft .net framework but 'Connect' doesn't show my Canon Digital Ixus.

Unfortunately the original Canon software disk was thrown out by mistake in the Christmas wrapping paper after my son installed it about three years ago.

That was okay until I bought a new Dell this year and tried to download some images from the camera.

I am on XP now - used to be Windows ME, and 'scanners & cameras' from the Control Panel keeps asking me for a disk, as Canon is not on the built-in list.

Can you help?

Thanks

Joe Creegan

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 - history.xml 1/21/2005 9:42 PM Dmitry
Hi there, I just discovered a problem with the history.xml file. I am a very heavy user of my camera, being a freelance photographer, and once the image count resets, GetCanon! will not download the new images as the history.xml file recognises them as having already been downloaded.

Just deleting the history.xml file caused an unhandled exception, but creating a new history.xml file with the parameters of the original worked like a charm.

Just wanted to let you/everyone know as I nearly lost a large number of images when I wasn't watching the download process and chose to delete the images off the camera before checking that they'd downloaded correctly (trust!). Luckily I swap my CF cards around so that they all get some use and I recovered them using standard recovery software.

Thanks for some great software; I hope Canon takes notice and buys this from you for an extraordinary amount of cash. Or steals it from you so you can sue their asses!

;-)

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 2/2/2005 2:04 PM fakič
kkkkkkkkuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccc
pppppppppppooooooooooo dddddddddoommmmačččččččččeeeeee

# re: GetCanon! 1.02-EXIF timestamper 2/7/2005 12:00 AM Kevin Kellar
It would be cool if you could the feature to set the modified/created timestamps on the files to be the "photo taken on" date from the EXIF Metadata stored in the JPEGs on my Canon A95's CFcard!

The only other solutions I see to this charge 25 bucks and up. I'd gladly pop you $5 donateware if it had this feature. You should set up a donateware tag anyway since it seems peeps like your prog.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 2/27/2005 3:22 AM Geoff
Hi, Like Emily previously I cannot connect the camera when I run GC. I already installed .NET framework. Any tips? TY.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 2/28/2005 10:33 PM David
Good way to figure this out is to check if Windows detect your camera. What version are you using? Does connecting to different USB ports change anything?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 3/1/2005 12:02 AM David
Kevin, I believe there are some utils that do that for free. I don't have the email with me right now, but I will look it up and post about it here.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 3/13/2005 10:39 AM John
Hello,Thanks for a superb programme, I needed a programme that would download my canon digi pics to a file without all the frills, but would leave the original date and time info intact, Microsoft picture it (a photo album) does not do this, And Canon zoom browser is just plain cumbersome.
Had to install Microsoft NET Framework ,as it was not on my xp .
Many thanks for a great free programme,

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/24/2005 3:50 AM Christine
Kevin, the s/w still can not see my camera (S300). I have tried different USB ports, but the connection still shows (none). I am using Windows XP.
Any other suggestions?
BTW, the computer keeps looking for s/w to install for the camera, so I know the camera is connected.
thx for your help.

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 5/24/2005 8:48 PM David
GetCanon need Windows to recognise the camera when connected. It will not work without working drivers.

# GetCanon 1.5 7/2/2005 7:55 PM Bite my bytes

# GetCanon! 1.5 7/2/2005 7:57 PM Bite my bytes

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/2/2005 8:49 PM David
Newer version of GetCanon is released.
Please fix your links to point to http://www.vidmar.net/getcanon!

# GetCanon! 1.6 11/27/2005 9:24 PM Bite my bytes

# GetCanon! 1.6 problems 4/4/2006 4:56 AM Bayardo
when i run getcanon i get this error msg. it worked the first time but after that i kept on getting this error:

GetCanon! 1.6.2122.37861
Framework Version: 1.1.4322.573

File list:Exception:
System.ArithmeticException: Overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation.
at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlPaint.FontInPoints(Font font)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_DefaultFont()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Font()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_FontHeight()
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.get_PreferredHeight()
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.get_DefaultSize()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor()
at System.Windows.Forms.ListControl..ctor()
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox..ctor()
at DavidVidmar.GetCanon.MainForm.InitializeComponent()
at DavidVidmar.GetCanon.MainForm..ctor()
at DavidVidmar.GetCanon.StartUp.Main()

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 4/9/2006 9:08 PM David
Sorry for late anwer. Is there anything special with your pictures. How many images do you have on your card?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 6/1/2006 3:48 AM ehertz
lets try this again. Captcha made me lose a whole nice feedback comment. Will try once more, beyond that not worth retyping the same comment a third time. Here goes.

GREAT bit of software! A perfect little utility to do just what is needed. I have two tiny requests for enhancements.

1. Please make this wonderful utility work for when I insert a CF card into my computer. In other words, when I take the CF card out of my cannon and insert it into my card reader on my computer, it becomes my H: drive. Can you make your software have a selection to perform all the same functions on the files located on the H: (or other) drive? Mostly I am interested in the copy/delete/rotate with the destination folder auto-created with the date. This would make my life complete!

2. Pls allow other separators for the directory name other than "-". It would be nice to allow the user to enter a character to use. In my case, I would prefer "." because I have 200 directories already using that naming convention, so 2000.06.01

thanks! Keep up the GREAT work. PS I would be willing to make a contribution to get these two features.
eugene@hertzmail.com
thanks
Eugene

# A week with Canon EOS 300D 3/17/2007 2:41 AM Andrej Tozon's blog
I've got a new toy - Canon EOS 300D, a digital SLR camera. After owning EOS 300 &amp;amp; 300v, this one's

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 7/8/2007 11:29 AM Jon
I have an IXUS 55 - this version 1.02 is the only one that works with it. 1.5 just breaks with an exception (other useres have listed the details). 1.6 cannot connect to the cam.

GREAT WORK but Microsoft and/or Canon have shot you in the ass!

DONT GIVE UP, ITS A GREAT TOOL!

(You are a marriage saver by the way :) )

Jon

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 1/12/2008 7:47 PM K'La
Hi, I have a Powershot A40 camera, but GetCanon won't recognize it. It keeps saying "camera not found". I have an Windows XP, and it says it is connected though. Any Help??

# davetiyeleri 10/28/2009 11:26 AM davetiye
düğün davetiyesi ve davetiye örnekleri

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 8/26/2010 9:13 AM davetiye
thank you...davetiye...

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 9/4/2010 4:46 PM matbaa rehberi
thank you..matbaa firma rehberi

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 9/14/2010 7:09 PM Kilgore661
I have just discovered GetCanon! and it looks great, but it doesn't seem to recognise my 7D. The E*S Utility Software detects the camera and works fine.

Is GetCanon! still being supported?

# re: GetCanon! 1.02 9/14/2010 11:57 PM David
No, sorry, GetCanon has been discontinued. Read more about it here: http://vidmar.net/weblog/archive/2008/07/17/getcanon-1.7.aspx