When migrating from SourceSafe to Subversion people often ask me about integration in Visual Studio. And of course - there is none out of the box.

My first answer to them is "You don't need it!" Basically the real reason one would need source control integration integrated in IDE is checkouts but we know Subversion doesn't work like that. You really need update and commit and that has nothing to do with editing files.

Alright, you don't need it, but it's nice to have. It's nice to visually identify changed files, it's nice to be closer to log of changes and so on.

I wrote about VisualSVN before. It integrates TortoiseSVN into VS. I was first reluctant to use it since I was very much used to jumping to Windows Explorer and doing SVN stuff there. But after testing it out I can say it's nice and I could use it alongside TortoiseSVN. It's a commercial product ($49), mind you.

Than there is AnkhSVN, which finally arrived at 1.0 earlier this year but it pretty much got stuck there. It doesn't integrate with TortoiseSVN, but tries to do everything on it's own. But since TortoiseSVN does such an excellent job, AnkhSVN feels like dumb saw. Never liked it much so I never used it.

Only other integration I am aware of is Garry's TortoiseSVN and Visual Studio Integration. And this is a reason for this post. Gary dropped me an email way back when I wrote about VisualSVN but I never bother to check his product out. Sorry, Garry! This is not a real plug-in, but just a bunch of settings that produce new toolbar, couple of entries in External Tools and entries in context menu in Solution Explorer that also integrate TortoiseSVN.

image  image  image

You can do pretty much everything you can with VisualSVN, you just don't get SVN status marked with colorful balls (those you see on screenshots are made by VisualSVN!). Pretty clever and useful stuff nevertheless. Installed!

Technorati tags: , ,
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 10:35 PM | Filed under: Software Developement |

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 11/5/2007 9:37 PM Garry Bodsworth
Hi there!

I have never sent an email to you - does this mean I have an impersonator out there on the WWW?

Garry

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 11/5/2007 9:44 PM David
Hi, Garry!

I though it was you, but it was obviously someone else, someone who really likes you product!

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 11/6/2007 3:33 PM Garry Bodsworth
Haha! No problem. I just had this image that someone is mad enough to impersonate me on the Internet ;) I've never bothered with self-promotion, so obviously there is someone out there doing it for me(!)

Keep up the good blogging! If you hadn't made that post I would never have found your blog on my traffic sources.

Garry

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 1/30/2008 7:18 PM Nathan
That is the most annoying answer ever. Please don't presume to tell me what I do and don't need. Just because I don't do source control the way YOU do source control, doesn't make my method any more or less valid.

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 1/30/2008 8:04 PM David
Ok, Nathan. :) Noted.

But I'm not sure you read my post to the end.

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 3/9/2008 4:23 PM Mihai

Does this baby automatically add your files to version control? I believe this is the single most important feature. The alternative being to pull up TortoiseSVN and figure out which of the non-versioned files are to be added (and there will always be non-versioned files in the list that you'll never want added nor excluded).

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 4/2/2008 4:27 PM Aidan
Hi mate,

Thanks for the infomation. Keep up the good work :)

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 4/29/2008 10:13 PM Felipe V. Rigo
I need a fast connection on source control system throught the world. There are developers in South America and Japan.

I'm looking for a good and cheap solution.

We develop using Visual Studio 2005.

What do u recommend?

I would appreciate any help.

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 5/9/2008 9:29 PM David
@Felipe: Subversion, any day!

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 5/26/2008 5:26 AM Lou
Another tools of the same kind:

TamTam SVN http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/tamtamsvn/index.shtml
very cheap, very slow, very buggy :)

UnifiedSCC http://aigenta.com/products/UnifiedScc.aspx
quite usable, from the first impression

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 7/10/2008 9:23 PM Shukaido
My only complaint is that an IDE, by definition, is an "Integrated Development Environment" NOT just for "editing files". It's about the entire project, bundles, packaging, source edit, design, etc. such is evidenced by the integration of the Class Diagrams that can be Generated through VS, as well as other integrated tools. Therefore, IMO, having source control integrated is a benefit to ANY team that utilizes it. If you don't, then it's not quite so important. I use an IDE that has native SVN integration out of the box, but for my new job they want me to use VS2008, suffice it to say, having my standard workflow alterred in this way is proving to be a bit more of a roadblock than I orrigionally thought.

So, don't underestimate the importance of integration, those of us who are used to it really do miss the feature if/when it's not present. Besides, even if you don't think it's all that important now, when you need to use it a lot the convenience is undeniable.

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 2/5/2009 12:48 AM Dave
AnkhSVN has come out with version 2.0. Have you looked it yet? What do you think of it?

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 2/13/2009 4:46 PM NickV
Ankhsvn 2.0 is stable and integrates well. No need to install TortoiseSVN either.

You can commit, diff, get history, compare with history, revert to committed version, etc.
As of this post, you can't have one solution with multiple projects in multiple repositories, it has to be all in one repository.

Visual Studio screws with it tho. If you publish to a remote website, Visual Studio will try, and fail, to copy the hidden .svn folders. Publish to a local folder and copy it manually and it works just fine, or tell VS to copy all files... it'll report that it failed but the remote site will still work. I've also had to edit the .proj files so Visual Studio doesn't tell Ankh to control the Bin folder.

All in all, I use Ankh on a daily basis for work, have gotten my coworkers to use it too, and there's hardly ever a problem. (Not like SourceSafe where the repo itself would become corrupted.)

It comes with a Repository Explorer (click View, Repository Explorer). You can view the repo and download the files, but it won't delete. :(

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 2/26/2009 12:47 PM Anil Kumar
Hi All,
AnkhSVN 2.0 is working fine with VS 2008. The only issue i found when we tried to commit the locked file it gives the following error.

Commit failed (details below)
Server sent unexpected return value (423 locked) in response to PUT request for 'repo path'

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 2/26/2009 1:28 PM CodeCutter
The Agent SVN plug-in does a good job of integrating Subversion and Visual Studio: www.zeusedit.com/agent/

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 3/14/2009 8:32 PM lynxnake
Garry's TortoiseSVN and Visual Studio Integration moved to http://blog.programmerslog.com/?page_id=143

# re: Subversion integration into Visual Studio 5/10/2009 3:56 AM blake7
I just use the Agent SVN plug-in: http://www.zeusedit.com/agent/

It does a great job of integrateing Visual Studio and Subversion.