I wrote about this subject in a magazine article recently and this is a quick run-through.

There is really no good reason one would but WinZip. There is even less user to run WinZip un-registered. And if you have WinRAR installed you are doing it wrong twice. Two shareware programs instead of one free one.

There are plenty free and good alternatives. Just pick one...

7zip

www.7zip.org

This is a program that's been around for a while. Although it's UI might see a bit outdated it more that compensates with it's features and speed. It can open ZIP, RAR and all other popular formats, and it sports it own 7Z format that is quite good.

It is cross platform as it runs on Windows, Linux, OS X and *nix platforms.

There is also a portable version of 7zip at PortableApps.

7-Zip

My grade: 4/5 - I love it and use it daily. It works rocks solid and fast.

IZArc

www.izarc.org

Probably one of the most popular alternatives of WinZip out there. It looks and feels very much like WinZip. It supports all formats you will ever need and is translated in many languages.

But it tends to be slow. The development cycle is not very smooth and home page is sometimes very slow or even unavailable.

There is a portable version available, but it didn't work for me.

IZArc

My grade: 2/5 - There are better apps available.

ZipGenius 6

www.zipgenius.it

This is an Italian piece of software which is refreshing. Most of other archiving apps come from eastern European countries. Again, it looks and feels almost like WinZip.

It is fast and works with all popular formats. Only thing that I didn't like is poor progress indication with some archiving operations.

ZipGenius

My grade: 3/5 - Cool app. Check it out.

TUGZip

www.tugzip.com

Just another WinZip clone. I looks promising and its feature list tells that it does everything, but it didn't for for me in Vista. So no real test here.

Author suggest on his site that he will not continue development, so I would recommend you don't get attached.

TUGZip

My grade: 1/5 - Stay away.

ALZip

www.altools.net

I never heard about this archiver before. And it sure is a pleasant surprise. It definitely the best looking (or should I say cute?) app of all listed. And what came as another surprise: it's the fastest.

It is a clone of WinZip, it does everything you should need, works just fine on Vista and it's updated regularly.

So what is there not to like? Ads. There is a small ad visible all the time, but that shouldn't stop you from using it. It not very obtrusive.

ALZip

My grade: 4/5 - Tools you should install on your grandma's computer. And yours if you don't like 7zip.

Honorary mention

If you are looking for a state of the art archiver and you are prepared to open your wallet, I would recommend you spend your money on PowerArchiver instead of WinZip or WinRAR. It's cheaper and better. I have a licensed version on all of my private computers.

See other articles on the similar subjects:

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 10:01 PM | Filed under: Software |

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 9/16/2007 11:10 AM CaqKa
i really like 7zip
it got a shell extension integration and shows the current datarate/bandwidth.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 9/16/2007 3:36 PM Bojan Vrhovnik
I prefer AlZip. 7 zip's context menu extension didnt work by me in Vista Ultimate...

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 9/16/2007 9:27 PM David
I use 7zip and PowerArchivert. But ALZip is really nice alternative too. I didn't have any problems with it on Vista Business.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 9/20/2007 1:36 PM Leo Kuznetsov
Zipeg from http://www.zipeg.com

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 10/2/2007 7:09 PM PRiMoZ
Bojan: Same problems here. Explorer context integration didn't work for me on Vista Business.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 10/19/2007 11:01 AM arc
The most famous compression utility for windows is 7zip:
www.7zip.org
but it has a problem.

Its license has a restriction for the RAR plugin so it's not fully free software and we're searching for a 100% libre alternative.

I found one called PeaZip: http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

Please value your freedom when you use computers.
Download a fully free software cdrom for Windows and Mac OS here:

www.chi3.org/en/software.php

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/11/2008 2:04 AM Lisa Key
Hi thanks for the advice on the win zip programs, Very useful. Cheers Lisa

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 5/4/2008 12:54 AM Yemk
Filzip nice programs. Search for find.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 5/4/2008 12:56 AM TRV
Winzip very nice. But not free.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 12/8/2008 12:05 PM winzip repair
Know good alternative which is very good,as far as i know utility is free,program supports Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003, Windows Vista,fix valid archive error winzip is known by its friendly graphic interface, that permits to work with this tool without good computer skills,recovery algorithms of fix valid archive error winzip, that are used simultaneously, this program permits to reach the minimal loss of your data, stored in damaged archive.

# Kız Giydirme 12/20/2008 12:38 PM Kız Giydirme
Kız Giydirme oyunları ile oyun oynanır...

# Futbol Oyunları 12/20/2008 12:40 PM Futbol Oyunları
Futbol Oyunları sitesi ile futbol oyunu oynayabilirsiniz... Flash games

# Giydirme Oyunları 12/20/2008 12:42 PM Giydirme Oyunları
Giydirme Oyunları ile giysi Giydirme Oyunları oyunlarını rahatça oynayabilirsiniz. barbie Giydirme Oyunları...

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/9/2009 7:27 PM winzip fix
For work with zip files advise try-Recovery Toolbox for Zip,tool helped me and my friends many times,as how as i remember it is free,utiltiy supports Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003, Windows Vista,fix valid archive error winzip is known by its friendly graphic interface, that permits to work with this tool without good computer skills,recovery algorithms of fix valid archive error winzip, that are used simultaneously, this program permits to reach the minimal loss of your data, stored in damaged archive.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/29/2009 5:42 AM how to fixed corrupted zip file
For work with zip files advise try-how to fixed corrupted zip file,tool helped me and my friends not once,it is free as far as i know,program can analyze your file for errors and extract most of the data, that was considered to be lost,can work under all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, including Windows Vista,fix corrupted zip files and recover your *.zip archive, so, sometimes it is not very fast, but effective,can repair password protected zip archives and self-extracting files,can process Zip files, larger, than 2 GB and restore Zip files from damaged media, such as CD, DVD, floppy disks or any other removable media,also possible to restore corrupted files with *.zip extension in local area network,are working with large text files, affected by viruses, the program represents a good possibility to retrieve the results of your work and fix corrupted zip file.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 2/21/2009 9:30 PM Harold
Thanks alot for the concise summary of WinZip alternatives, that is very kind that you posted this. Many thanks! Harold

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 8/29/2009 11:08 AM ibrahim khaled
i whant to download zipwin

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 10/26/2009 2:26 AM Araba Oyunları
than you admin

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/11/2010 8:41 PM araba oyunları
Cam UnZip is fairly easy to use, the interface is not as professional as WinZIP but pretty full featured - not my favorite freeware ZIP program but adequate for most ZIP-creation needs.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/11/2010 8:44 PM ben 10 games
BigSpeed Zipper is one of those ZIP programs hard to easily quantify. Sure it's got the basic features and it's a little weak on some features I think are important... but then it has so many other features that I've never even thought of! I'm still trying to figure out the usefulness of some of them. For example, you can view the contents of a ZIP file online BEFORE downloading. Now that's kind of cool!

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/11/2010 8:47 PM araba oyunları
7-Zip is finally starting to get the fame it deserves. This freeware ZIP program is the only one in it's pack to really push the bar on technology. Although 7-Zip is best known for its support of high-compression non-ZIP technology (7Z), it also does a better job than WinZIP or PKZip on regular ZIP compression!

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/11/2010 8:56 PM araba oyunları

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/11/2010 9:00 PM ben 10 games
Back2zip 2.0 beta release;
* Reliable: Safe secure online storage using Amazon S3
* Extremely Easy: your dad can set it up
* Polite: tiny program works quietly without slowing your computer
* Multi-Computer: backup all your computers with one Amazon account
* Easy Restore: any file, any version, from any of your computers
* Cheap! Pay only for the Amazon storage (based on usage)
for the cost of a latte, backup all your computers!

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/11/2010 9:01 PM araba oyunları
IZArc support a ton of compression formats. Just look at this impressive list of alphabets: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BZ2, BZA, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MIM, PAK, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/14/2010 7:18 PM savaş oyunları
Back2zip 2.0 beta release;
* Reliable: Safe secure online storage using Amazon S3
* Extremely Easy: your dad can set it up
* Polite: tiny program works quietly without slowing your computer
* Multi-Computer: backup all your computers with one Amazon account
* Easy Restore: any file, any version, from any of your computers
* Cheap! Pay only for the Amazon storage (based on usage)
for the cost of a latte, backup all your computers!
there is more...

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 3/8/2010 8:02 AM rajeshontheweb
Quick zip is also a good one. can u review that too (i dont have much interest in version 5) but 4.6 is good enough.

i use izarc, though. i used to have tugzip and its development has stopped now.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 3/16/2010 8:54 AM balloon game
Thanks post admin.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 5/2/2010 11:17 AM yarış oyunları
thanks admin, winzip nice program.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 5/2/2010 3:19 PM barbie giydirme oyunları
Thanks. nice post

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 5/5/2010 1:44 PM Prezent
I think that 7zip is the right choice. Thanks.

# oyunlar 1 5/7/2010 3:57 PM oyunlar 1
Hi! I think that 7zip is the right choice. Thanks.

# food games 5/30/2010 12:50 AM food games
There are excellent sharing. Thanks to the contributors.

# Yemek Oyunları 6/1/2010 8:57 PM Yemek Oyunları

# Ders Zamanı 6/1/2010 8:58 PM Ders Videoları

# YGS LYS 6/1/2010 8:59 PM YGS LYS
u ZIP programs hard to easily quantify. Sure it's got the basic features and it's a little weak on some features I think are important... but then it has so many other features that I've never even thought of! I'm still trying to figure out the usefulness of some of them a

# Yemek Tarifleri 6/1/2010 9:01 PM Yemek Tarifleri
yemek tarifleri, recovery algorithms of fix valid archive error winzip, that are used simultaneously, this program permits to reach the minimal loss of your data, stored in damaged archive.

# Burçlar 6/1/2010 9:02 PM Burçlar
thanks,runs on both Mac OS X and Windows. If anybody need WinZip like on Mac OS X. Only decompression and browsing of archives at the moment. Freeware. (Build in Java on top of 7zip engine) good luck,

# Meslek Rehberi 6/1/2010 9:04 PM Meslek Rehberi
Meslek Rehberi , I'm still trying to figure out the usefulness of some of them. For example, you can view the contents of a ZIP file online BEFORE downloading. Now that's kind of cool!

# Anny 6/1/2010 9:07 PM YGS LYS Ders Videoları
Thanks alot for the concise summary of WinZip alternatives, that is very kind that you posted this. Many thanks! YGS LYS

# KPSS Uzmanı 6/1/2010 9:08 PM KPSS
thanks for the advice on the win zip programs, Very useful. Cheers Lisa, lucky

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 6/20/2010 2:56 PM antep baklavası sipariş
thanks for the advice on the win zip programs, Very useful. Cheers Lisa, lucky

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 8/29/2010 4:44 PM mario oyunları

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 9/24/2010 5:02 PM mario oyunları
interesting post. good article thanks admin.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 11/2/2010 6:25 PM Jon Gibbins
+1 for PeaZip!

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 3/3/2011 8:14 AM Mike
Yaya for free stuff

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 6/3/2011 12:50 AM New Games
thanks admin, winzip nice program. thanks

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 6/14/2011 6:58 AM remove skin tags
I was very happy to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read! I really enjoyed every bit of it and I've bookmarked to check for new stuff you post.

# y3 6/15/2011 4:56 AM y3
Hey site owner, I like y3home.com but why did you chose it? I mean its so neat with the random avatars and draws people in, but what speficially made you want to install it?

# games 6/20/2011 12:29 AM Games
Thanks you admin..

Games

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 6/26/2011 4:59 AM friv games
Great post. I need win zip. thanks!

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 6/26/2011 5:04 AM friv
salamat para sa payo ukol sa mga programa manalo zip, Tunay na kapaki-pakinabang

# mal e dolore 6/29/2011 7:11 PM mal e dolore
Thank yo ver much it is the new possibiletis.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 7/24/2011 12:18 PM Friv
Thank you for share!

# very cool. I like this games 8/15/2011 1:49 AM friv
very cool. I like this games

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 9/3/2011 12:25 AM cemillion
Thank you for share!
www.dersvizyon.com
www.nilforum.com
www.liderwebhost.com

# y3 10/7/2011 2:34 AM y3
Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post ,thanks.

# Thanks Admin very nice share! 11/23/2011 11:31 AM friv
Thanks Admin very nice share!

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 12/8/2011 11:26 AM makeityourring diamond engagemen
I just wanna say thank you for the information that you have been shared to us readers. Thanks for posting this kind of theme.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 12/11/2011 8:30 PM whosecure
We have seen this too great, or at the end that takes the cake

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 12/21/2011 7:31 PM Online Shopping in BD
Ohh, I am so glad that I have found this your article because I have been searching for some information for some days. You helped me a lot indeed and reading this your article I havefound many new and useful information about this subject. Well, I will definitely bookmark your website and wait for other useful and informative posts like this one in the future.

# re: Free WinZip alternatives 1/23/2012 12:32 PM Paulo Nazare Junior
grato pela ajuda que me tem dado

# Freejogosgames 2/27/2012 11:35 PM ork